New Tank - I dont want hair algea…

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're going to have hair algae. There's no point in trying to avoid it, you'd need a sterile tank. What you want is to not have /rampant/ hair algae; having it present, but invisible, is harmless. For that, you want nutrients at a good level (including not too low), a light set up for corals, a good cleanup crew, and, preferably, plenty of biodiversity. Ocean live rock would be helpful on that last front, and on the maturity front in general.

Starting with all dry rock, you WILL have an ugly stage, that may include hair algae. Don't stress about it. Keep your nutrients reasonable via whatever amount of water changes will do that, stock a cleanup crew, and let it burn itself out. Slower-growing, non-pest algae will win out.

Once the tank is stable, a tuxedo urchin will eat lots of hair algae, but you have to be sure there's enough food for it.

OP
OP
hsnydn

hsnydn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ARC Reef sells coralline spores that they cultivate/bottle/ship and then you have to use it within a couple of weeks. (You don't need it but it's also not that expensive).

Coralline can get into your tank from many sources, like live rock, snail shells, etc,,, but it does have to be introduced somehow.

*bit of a tangent from the GHA question but just FYI
I am not in US, i ll check from the local shops. I already added coralline by scraping from my existing nano tank. Spread Little particules and dust But when i spread in the bigger tank, i dont see any of them, keeping the light in 10%, i am not sure that will work for the corraline.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you figure out how to start a new tank and never ever have hair alage market the technique and I'll be first in line.
I've come to accept it as a natural occurrence. But I'm the kind of reefer who likes things simple and refuse to dose this that and the other, some even conflicting each other trying to obtain some sterile tank that looks like it was just set up for pic of the day. Then again maybe I'm just jealous of those folks:thinking-face:

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an hermit crap, it is so strong, and removes the frags, make them upside down and eat what ever it could find. But this makes me frustrated. İt looks doesnt like the taste of long GHA.
Not many things will eat "long" GHA... You'll need to trim it manually. Pull off as much as you can by hand and the snails/crabs can help with the rest.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have such a satisfying snap and burst of brine when you bite into them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back