New tank in Sweden, planning stage

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will use this thread to document my progress of this project and get some input from you guys.
I would calculate that we are about six months from getting this tank wet.

A little backstory: Me and my wife recently sold our townhouse and bought a house a bit farther away from the city.
We are now in the the middle of completely renovating all 125m2 of the basement and I thought why not try to incorporate a new tank in these plans.

As it happens I’ve found a very good spot for it after we’ve knocked down the wall between these two rooms:
09B9B272-5664-428C-AEB5-D4B34796BF85.jpeg

B1A4BC3E-F4D2-44DE-B13D-8EF9EE5A2119.jpeg

DD6CB728-4981-421A-9D66-4C920AF8F9D9.jpeg

This is one of a few that will be coming down. They had seven kids so lots of rooms haha. The aim creat one big room for relaxing and hanging out.
Concept:
509C4172-2EF9-48F2-BA50-4DEFAE723710.png

Another appealing factor about this placement is that behind the wall that the tank will stand up against is a unfurnished room that the wife is fine with me hogging. That means that I can run the plumbing through the wall and have an external sump. No more rummaging around under the stand baby!!
Looks like crap at the moment but that’s actually a positive since I have free reign to do what I want
80F22E41-3024-4F15-8CBC-271451356248.jpeg

I’ll also need to tile the floor and spruce up the walls in the future sump-room. There’s actually a faucet in that room but strangely enough there’s no drain to be found. I’ll have a plumber look in to the possibility of placing a drain there...would be nice to have.

As for the tank itself it will be a custom 150x70x50 (cm) with low iron glass.
77BA6945-F6E0-4990-B032-B20DB4D09237.png

The builder will be Akwarium Szczecin out of Poland and they will deliver it to my doorstep here in Sweden.
It might sound strange to have it shipped from another country but firstly they do some amazing work and secondly it’s basically half the price of having it made locally (shipping included).

The one bad thing about this is the placement of my current tank, I’m going to have to move it out of the room and set it up in my man cave so that we can work on the room.

I think that’s about it for now. To be continued!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I’ve now placed the order for the tank and stand (it was somewhat of a challenge, the guy sucks at responding but since I was warned of this before I contacted them it wasn’t a problem).
Delivery time should be about 8 weeks but with everything that’s going on I’m not holding my breath.

The stand will be made of steel and I will build the surrounding cabinet myself since the quote I got was a bit much.
It’s going to be nice to have a proper stand after having to deal with the crap quality of the Red sea stand haha.

I will be going with clear silicone since I like the clean look but I’m having trouble with the color of the background. Black, blue, clear or tinted...Help!

I’ve decided to not knock down the wall separating the two rooms as a first stage of the project but rather fix the room that the tank will be going in to first, move everything over to the new tank, do the other room and then tear down the wall.
Doing it this way will mean that I don’t have move the existing tank :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back