New tank media?

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm new to this and going to set up and fill my tank this coming week. I've got a 90g with a proclear 125 wet/dry filter as sump. Bought used. I'm taking people's advice and ditching the bio-balls and replacing with rock. My question is, is there anything I should add right away in the way of media (carbon, etc.) when I start the tank? If so, How? In mesh bags in the sump probably. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for my ignorance, this is my first saltwater tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cycling, the only filtration that should be used is straight carbon, anything else might impede the cycling process and you are correct that mesh bags in the sump would be the way to go. After the cycling is done I would recommend something like a Chemipure Elite bag.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cycling, the only filtration that should be used is straight carbon, anything else might impede the cycling process and you are correct that mesh bags in the sump would be the way to go. After the cycling is done I would recommend something like a Chemipure Elite bag.
thanks

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree that carbon should be all you need for now. once the cycle is complete you may want to add something to get the refugium started like this..
Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 12.40.36 PM.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back