New Tank - new addition planning

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

So with the new tank up and running (check out my build thread for more info) I will be transferring livestock + rock over from existing tank this coming weekend. I figure it's about time to start thinking about planning additional fish and thought I'd start seeking some opinions well in advance as I'm wanting to add several tangs eventually, along with some wrasse and others and want to know if I'm in for a disaster etc.

With making this thread I figure I can come back over time as I expand for updated feedback and so on.

The tanks is a Cade 1800 S2
  • 1800x700x600mm (LxWxH)
  • Capacity (Inhabitale): 648L / 171 gal
  • System Capacity (Total): 782L / 207 gal
The current fish include;
1x Blue Tang
1x One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1x Bi-color Blenny
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Cleaner Wrasse
1x Yellow Coris Wrasse
2x Clownfish

The wish list is currently;
At least 1x Yellow Tang
1 or 2 Purple Tangs
Achilles Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blonde Lipstick Tang

Eventually I want to add a bunch of different types of fish instead of just Tangs, such a few different wrasse (but I'm yet to work out what I want there), maybe some anthias, possibly a sandsifting goby and maybe other gobies and a dragonet down the line. The focus on the moment is more on the tangs being the bigger ones.
I want to eventually have a very lively looking tank with plenty of fish and corals moving around and thriving.

My existing tank a waterbox 70.2 is likely to stay operational in the meantime as a bit of a quarantine tank so whilst I'm not looking to rush out and get fish tomorrow, if something comes along that works it might be a good opportunity for me to sort it sooner rather than later so I can pull down the tank eventually and the missus will be happier for it only having the single tank running.

Would appreciate some feedback if you have any info/tips or advice.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only do one purple tang, they dont like each other much! My purple is very territorial and makes sure everyone knows shes boss fish in the tank! Powder blues are nasty, had one that killed a tusk and then went after my other fish. Had to re home her. @vetteguy53081 has lots of tangs, he would be a good person to ask!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,

So with the new tank up and running (check out my build thread for more info) I will be transferring livestock + rock over from existing tank this coming weekend. I figure it's about time to start thinking about planning additional fish and thought I'd start seeking some opinions well in advance as I'm wanting to add several tangs eventually, along with some wrasse and others and want to know if I'm in for a disaster etc.

With making this thread I figure I can come back over time as I expand for updated feedback and so on.

The tanks is a Cade 1800 S2
  • 1800x700x600mm (LxWxH)
  • Capacity (Inhabitale): 648L / 171 gal
  • System Capacity (Total): 782L / 207 gal
The current fish include;
1x Blue Tang
1x One Spot Foxface Rabbitfish
1x Bi-color Blenny
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Cleaner Wrasse
1x Yellow Coris Wrasse
2x Clownfish

The wish list is currently;
At least 1x Yellow Tang
1 or 2 Purple Tangs
Achilles Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Blonde Lipstick Tang

Eventually I want to add a bunch of different types of fish instead of just Tangs, such a few different wrasse (but I'm yet to work out what I want there), maybe some anthias, possibly a sandsifting goby and maybe other gobies and a dragonet down the line. The focus on the moment is more on the tangs being the bigger ones.
I want to eventually have a very lively looking tank with plenty of fish and corals moving around and thriving.

My existing tank a waterbox 70.2 is likely to stay operational in the meantime as a bit of a quarantine tank so whilst I'm not looking to rush out and get fish tomorrow, if something comes along that works it might be a good opportunity for me to sort it sooner rather than later so I can pull down the tank eventually and the missus will be happier for it only having the single tank running.

Would appreciate some feedback if you have any info/tips or advice.
My purple was a jerk and suddenly a model citizen. This may be a bit of fish for this size tank.
You said blue tang- Atlantic blue, powder blue, hepatus blue?

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only do one purple tang, they dont like each other much! My purple is very territorial and makes sure everyone knows shes boss fish in the tank! Powder blues are nasty, had one that killed a tusk and then went after my other fish. Had to re home her. @vetteguy53081 has lots of tangs, he would be a good person to ask!
Oh really? Thought I'd seen a few tanks around with several purples so assumed they werent too bad ?
I have heard powder blues can be jerks. Whilst I'd like to add one it's one that I can deal with not having if I had to in order to have something else...

My purple was a jerk and suddenly a model citizen. This may be a bit of fish for this size tank.
You said blue tang- Atlantic blue, powder blue, hepatus blue?

Ah yeah, Hippo blue (aka. Dory) so that would make it the hepatus ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh really? Thought I'd seen a few tanks around with several purples so assumed they werent too bad ?
I have heard powder blues can be jerks. Whilst I'd like to add one it's one that I can deal with not having if I had to in order to have something else...

Very few tangs can be safely grouped and must be in odd numbers. Hepatus AKA DORY, AKA Regal tang are all hippo tang

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive had two both were downright mean. Mine likes to chase other fish around the tank for no reason lol. Thats why I call her mad max! I was tempted to do two purples and was asking about it in a thread if you look under my name and the consensus there was that two purples would be a bad idea. Ive got a purple and yellow with no issues though!

OP
OP
DarkReefer

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had two both were downright mean. Mine likes to chase other fish around the tank for no reason lol. Thats why I call her mad max! I was tempted to do two purples and was asking about it in a thread if you look under my name and the consensus there was that two purples would be a bad idea. Ive got a purple and yellow with no issues though!
Thanks I'll have to have a read.
Definitely sounds like the powder might be one worth steering clear of for a while if not indefinitely

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back