New Tank-New Salt

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come end of September I'll be setting up a new tank (240g) and I'm thinking of going back to Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt. I have been using the salt from Dr Foster/Live Aquaria and not sure just how good its been. I may want to return to Red Sea salts, but to fill 240 gal is a lot of salt lol's.

My current surviving coral list is gps, rhodactis, palys, zoas so not much in the way of coral.

What are current thoughts of IO Reef Crystals. Once I get more corals, maybe switch to a higher end salt??

lazlodawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... Most major brand salt is fine. Pick one closest to the parameters you want to maintain. I use a more expensive salt only because there is zero residue to clean in my mixing containers, heaters, and pumps. It's worth it to me at my age, but 20 years ago I would have used the cheapest salt I could find!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... Most major brand salt is fine. Pick one closest to the parameters you want to maintain. I use a more expensive salt only because there is zero residue to clean in my mixing containers, heaters, and pumps. It's worth it to me at my age, but 20 years ago I would have used the cheapest salt I could find!
Yeah, that is what I'm also considering. I dislike the brown stuff in my containers. Never thought that same residue would be in my sump! Decisions. so many of them lol's

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using IO Reef Crystals on my nano mixed tank. Decided to make the switch to Tropic Marin due to always needing to clean my mixing barrel. That alone is worth the extra money for me. Can't say I notice a huge difference in salt, but I don't think I'll be switching back any time soon.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of salts recommend using after a certain amt of time, like 4 hrs etc. I'll be mixing up 40-65 gal and using it for awc, doing approx 3 gal a day. Does it harm most salts to be kept with a powerhead or pump for a week or two?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of salts recommend using after a certain amt of time, like 4 hrs etc. I'll be mixing up 40-65 gal and using it for awc, doing approx 3 gal a day. Does it harm most salts to be kept with a powerhead or pump for a week or two?
Some salts are not recommended to leave mixing that long. Others are just fine. BRS has a salt testing video on youtube that I'd recommend you to take a look at. I think you'll find it helpful in your decision.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come end of September I'll be setting up a new tank (240g) and I'm thinking of going back to Instant Ocean Reef Crystal salt. I have been using the salt from Dr Foster/Live Aquaria and not sure just how good its been. I may want to return to Red Sea salts, but to fill 240 gal is a lot of salt lol's.

My current surviving coral list is gps, rhodactis, palys, zoas so not much in the way of coral.

What are current thoughts of IO Reef Crystals. Once I get more corals, maybe switch to a higher end salt??
Salt won't matter. If certain levels of nutrients are needed you'll be dosing either way.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching. This review site was pretty good. https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/best-reef-salt

It is the addition of anti caking agents that cause the brown ick left in mixing containers.
With just softies, I'm running alk 9, Ca 450ish, mg 1400 so will have to lower some before new tank.
I'm looking at:

-Brightwell Aquatics Neo Marine -- lower alk & Ca & Mg, no anti-caking
-Aqua Forest Probiotics--closer to what I run and probiotics and no anti-caking
-Red Sea-coral pro much higher alk, rest close. Regular Red sea is closer.
-Fritz-again, close to my numbers and no caking. Has past problems
-Tropic Marin-close to my numbers but costly! And overkill for my tank of softies

Leaning toward Aquaforest, fritz, Brightwell, or red sea salt (not pro).
I could be cheap and fill with IO Reef Crystals as I won't be storing any, and then mix up one of the others that won't leave a residue. I plan to have all my water ready--heated and ready to mix so all I have to do is add salt the day before tank arrives. Or just suck it up and pick one and go with it.

So much to consider lol's.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salts are not recommended to leave mixing that long. Others are just fine. BRS has a salt testing video on youtube that I'd recommend you to take a look at. I think you'll find it helpful in your decision.
will go there and check that out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back