New tank parameters with low Alk

bristleworm

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2026
Messages
143
Reaction score
114
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank 6 weeks running fully cycled. Animals doing well:
1 tailspot blenny
6 small blue legged crabs
2 zoa patches
1 fireworks clover poylp
1 small green leather
2 Duncans

Water parameters
Ammonia 0.02
Nitrate 6.8
Phosphate 0.04
Alk 6.2
pH 8.15
salinity 1.0257

Using Red Sea blue bucket mixed with 0 tds RODI water
Did a water change last Sunday

My Alk has never been above 7 even on the first fill up. The highest I've ever tested it was 6.6.

Do I:
1. Leave it alone let the tank mature more
2. Gradually switch over to Red Sea Pro
3. Something else.

I really want to keep this tank simple and don't want to dose anything if I don't have to.
 
Water parameters
Ammonia 0.02
Nitrate 6.8
Phosphate 0.04
Alk 6.2
pH 8.15
salinity 1.0257


What test kit are you using?
 
Water parameters
Ammonia 0.02
Nitrate 6.8
Phosphate 0.04
Alk 6.2
pH 8.15
salinity 1.0257


What test kit are you using?
Hanna checkers for everything but pH. pH is Salifert. Salinity is TM hydrometer.
 
Tested mixing barrel
Alk is dead on at 8.0
 
Tank is 25 gal IM Lagoon.
It was started with mostly dry rock but added some Gulf Live Sand and some rubble rock.
 
Ok update,
I stopped by the LRS.

They said my Alk is low because my Duncans are sucking it up!
I have two Duncan heads that look pretty healthy and are a nice bright green.
I questioned it and asked can two duncan heads really suck up that much alkalinity and both the guys there said ABSOLUTELY!

They sold me some Red Sea Alkalinity B(premixed) and said manually dose 5ml today, and measure tomorrow. If it's still at 6.2 they used it all.
They said to keep increasing by small amounts until you reach 8 or whatever value I want. Then drop back down to 5ml. daily. If it starts dropping increase the daily 5ml in small amounts until you get a stable value or what I want.

I'm holding off to see what R2R Pros say before going down this rabbit hole.
I'm a beginner and this scares the poo out of me for some reason!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new