New tank, pump recommandation for 30G Display + 12 G (3/4" piping)

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good pump :) My display is 30G with a 12G
Would a Syncra SDC 3.0 be too much after the head pressure ?

Here is my pipping in 3/4:
3ft Vertical
3ft Horizontal
5 x Elbows
4 x 45 Degree angles
4 x Unions
1x Union ball valve (manifold)
1 x T

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine as long as you don’t aim it right at the sand or something weird. Personally though if you’re looking to spend roughly 200, I would get two off name DC pumps. On something like a return pump you really should have a backup on hand.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a good pump :) My display is 30G with a 12G
Would a Syncra SDC 3.0 be too much after the head pressure ?

Here is my pipping in 3/4:
3ft Vertical
3ft Horizontal
5 x Elbows
4 x 45 Degree angles
4 x Unions
1x Union ball valve (manifold)
1 x T
Good to go!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say stick with the 3, I went with the 2.0 on a 30 gal with much less joints and dual VCA RFG nozzles. If I had more pressure I’d have more affect from these random flow nozzles.
71634552895__021156FA-0B60-4672-BA5C-D46B1ED9015C.jpeg

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it enables you to control the speed of the pump usually and some actually provide neat safety features like float switches to shut them in the even they are about to run dry...if you need to turn the pump off, you can usually hit a button on the controller instead of crawling under "there" to find the right power cord or something to pull the plug.
They just make life more pleasant.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like DC pumps because they are quiet. People also like tech, at least some people do.

Being able to adjust the flow on them isn't really more useful than a valve in the plumbing of an AC pump. There also isn't much reason to control a return pump up and down.

The most reliable return pumps are the large external AC pumps like Iwaki and Blue line. They are just overkill for your needs and they are loud.

In your case, I like your choice of a Sicce 3.0. You can valve it down. I would get an Eheim 1260 (640 gph before any head loss).

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People like DC pumps because they are quiet. People also like tech, at least some people do.

Being able to adjust the flow on them isn't really more useful than a valve in the plumbing of an AC pump. There also isn't much reason to control a return pump up and down.

The most reliable return pumps are the large external AC pumps like Iwaki and Blue line. They are just overkill for your needs and they are loud.

In your case, I like your choice of a Sicce 3.0. You can valve it down. I would get an Eheim 1260 (640 gph before any head loss).
Quiet and Tech just what I like ! Il'l also research the Eheim 1260 !

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it enables you to control the speed of the pump usually and some actually provide neat safety features like float switches to shut them in the even they are about to run dry...if you need to turn the pump off, you can usually hit a button on the controller instead of crawling under "there" to find the right power cord or something to pull the plug.
They just make life more pleasant.
Exactly what I need !

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I need !
Yeah, same here. I've been doing this for a long time now and I've had it with all the crawling around on the floor and things that are more a detriment than a benefit.

I'm using Octo Varios pumps on my skimmer and return. This way if I want to take a picture, or feed the corals I can just hit a button, the pump stops for a while and restarts on its own later. If there is a low water level, it shuts the pump with a float switch. I know a/c pumps are a lot cheaper and some of them are good too, but anytime something goes wrong, it usually means it's done right there. The DC pumps have a lot more flexibility and safety features. Usually a better warranty of some sort. And DC motors keep getting more reliable with time, so there's that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back