help me pick a return pump

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was all set to run the Vectra L2 on my new set up...but I am not considering rethinking that, as some have told me that it likely wont be able to run what I have going on.

Here is what plumbing will look like.
Return with manifold that terminates into tank at a 1” sea swirl
- Pump - Ecotech Vectra L2
74” of pipe (34” vertical & 40” horizontal)
1 ¼ reduced at pump down to 1”
-will have a "T" in the first portion of the pipe, that will connect to a clear water Algae Scrubber
6 – 45’s
2 – 90 elbows
The Manifold consists of:
1st “T” – reduced to ¼” for SPS kit for the salinity probe
2nd “T” – capped for potential future use
3rd “T” – reduced to ½” to feed Ice Cap 24 watt UV sterilizer
Contains:
58” of pipe (26” vertical & 32” horizontal)
2 – double union gate valve (this was done to save space)
5 – 90 elbows
1 – Union
5 – 45’s
4th "T" capped for future use

I know most would say to at least have a 2nd pump to run manifold, but I don't have space in the sump for it. All pumps have to be internal...I have no room for an external pump. The return pump, is not the main source of flow in the DT, so I am not as concerned about making sure it is producing major flow. My concern is handling everything and not struggling to do so.

I guess my question is 3 fold:
1 - What is the confidence level the Vectra L2 can handle it? Some have said that it will struggle to start up in a power outage
2 - If I go with something like Red Dragon or Abyzz...which model should I chose? I am one to usually "over build" things and up size things...but we we are talking $1000 between models, it makes me want to at least consider a more appropriate sized one, if it all possible
3 - Is there another brand I should consider, besides Red Dragon or Abyzz. These are the only 2 that I could really find that seem to be able to handle high pressure, which I am obviously throwing at it.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a long time ago to appreciate redundancy in a reef system. Just a thought but what I would do if this was my system is use 3 smaller pumps. Two return pumps and a third pump to run everything else. Each return pump sized to provide a few trunovers per hour through the sump and to reduce back pressure through the plumbing use flexable tubing so there's no elbows and maybe have them on seperate circuit brreakers if that's convenient. A sinlge pump to run the manifold and all the stuff running on it and maybe have it also supply a third return to the DT.

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I learned a long time ago to appreciate redundancy in a reef system. Just a thought but what I would do if this was my system is use 3 smaller pumps. Two return pumps and a third pump to run everything else. Each return pump sized to provide a few trunovers per hour through the sump and to reduce back pressure through the plumbing use flexable tubing so there's no elbows and maybe have them on seperate circuit brreakers if that's convenient. A sinlge pump to run the manifold and all the stuff running on it and maybe have it also supply a third return to the DT.
I get redundancy, I actually preach it at work. However, as I originally stated...I DONT have room in my sump for multiple pumps. It is not an option.

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What return pump did you finally choose?
Coralvue has an open box VarioS-10 for less then $700.00. So I bit the bullet and picked it up. The Abyzz was nice, but I couldn't justify those kind of dollars. From everything I have the read the VarioS should be able to handle everything I am throwing at it with ease.

No I need to sell my vectra L2 that I have which is proving to be more difficult then I thought.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just looking at (and going to suggest) the VarioS-10. Once you get things running, please let us know how you like it!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the benefit of a $1000 pump over say, a Jebao DCP which are reliable and completely silent.

OP
OP
E

EL_Perron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just looking at (and going to suggest) the VarioS-10. Once you get things running, please let us know how you like it!
will do..this dang project is a such a slow project for me. I am hoping in the next 2-3 months it will be up and running. The good news is, I bought rock from a LFS store that has been in their system for a long time and start with some LV sand. It has all been in a 120 gallon stock tank, so I will not have to go through the new tank phase when it is done, I will be able to add things fairly soon after everything is loaded into the tank. I will give it a little time to settle down, but it should be minimal at best.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back