New tank - seeding question

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If seeding a new tank with a piece of live rock from my established tank do I need to use anything like Dr. Tim's nitrifying bacteria in a bottle?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that depends. if you have about 20 days for the bac to auto transmit through the water you dont. if you need to add bioload that far exceeds live rock, which is hard to do, you might.

lets see pics of the whole tank

*if you bought caribsea live sand then paying for Dr Tims is redundant, the sand is like bottle bac.

if you have dry sand, dry rock, a tiny piece of live rock and a quick needed start date Id buy some. I would not buy some if you've already paid more for wet sand that brings in bac.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that depends. if you have about 20 days for the bac to auto transmit through the water you dont. if you need to add bioload that far exceeds live rock, which is hard to do, you might.

lets see pics of the whole tank

*if you bought caribsea live sand then paying for Dr Tims is redundant, the sand is like bottle bac.

if you have dry sand, dry rock, a tiny piece of live rock and a quick needed start date Id buy some. I would not buy some if you've already paid more for wet sand that brings in bac.
THIS^

OP
OP

98dak83cam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is a 210 gallon, dry rock, dry sand. I'm not in a rush to get anything into it. I was going to cycle for about 3 weeks, in the dark, adding a piece of shrimp and switching it out every few days. I also have a filter sock and some ceramic pellets from the established tank that can bring some bacteria over.

The established tank is rock from tampa bay saltwater, so a lot of good stuff on it.

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is a 210 gallon, dry rock, dry sand. I'm not in a rush to get anything into it. I was going to cycle for about 3 weeks, in the dark, adding a piece of shrimp and switching it out every few days. I also have a filter sock and some ceramic pellets from the established tank that can bring some bacteria over.

The established tank is rock from tampa bay saltwater, so a lot of good stuff on it.
If you put live rock and some of the beads, you should be good to go!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back