New tank sitting around 5-6 years still ok to use?

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chance to buy a new tank that has been sitting around dry about 5-6 years, would it be ok to use or am I risking a leak due to silicone deteriorating? To the naked eye it looks ok but I thought I would ask first.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, worse case you have to re-silicone it which isn't as hard as it sounds :)

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed would test in garage or outside for a couple weeks and see how it’s holding. If it were me though I would reseal it’s for safety as it is cheap and you wouldn’t have to worry long term.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to reseal it LOL. I’ve used tanks that sat around empty for longer than that. Just negotiate yourself a good deal.

agreed. If it sat out in a desert I would be worried due to the excessive dry condition. Sitting in a LFS with higher humidity and not exposed to uv light from the sun I would not be concerned

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it wasn't stored in a cold or hot environment then you will likely be okay. If the LFS won't let you leak test it then you can reasonably ask for more price concessions. Everyone has to make there own choice, but based on what I know it is a chance that I would take if the price is agreeable. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price savings over a new tank is absolutely not worth it if you are concerned at all. Piece of mind is everything, you can’t put a price on that.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used a 150 xtra high. it was a terrarium for 10 years, silicone looked good, leak tested for 2 weeks... lasted 2 years till i sold it. its been 7 years the guy still has it in the same spot

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, unless it was sitting out in direct sunlight for 5 - 6 years, then no issue with it.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my tank for free. It was built in 1996 and was sitting dry in someone’s house covered in dust. It’s been running over 2 years now.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank can leak.. so an old tank can leak. I see so much paranoia over silicon it amazes me. Leak test everything, look for big bubbles in the silicon. Tanks with the side glass sitting ON TOP of the bottom glass is actually more likely to split a seam in my experience.. and I see most rimless tanks are made that way for aesthetic purposes. I have a LOT of really old tanks and have resealed several that did not need it, Just because..... doesn't take a lot of skill to do it.. and you don't actually have to break down the entire tank, just the inner "extra" silicon and re-apply it. Make sure to scrape the old stuff off really well.

As to the tank the OP is asking about, I would not hesitate to buy it if the price were right. Would not worry about a leaky seal either. As previously posted, ask to leak test it, if not allowed look for a cheaper price. You wont know what any new or used tank might do.. If a used tank is all you can afford, then I suggest waiting and saving for a new one. The only real difference here is there may be fewer scratches in a new one and it usually has some limited warranty.. If you have it filled with animals and it splits a seam, it wont matter what the age of the tank was.

Think of it like this. You have an older dog that likes to run but comes when you call.. or a young one that doesn't. One day you forget to put the leash on both.. which would you prefer to have the one that returns or the.. OK this makes no sense... the dog thing wont work here.

Re-read the OP... it is a new tank just never used..... Yeah definitely buy it if the price is good..

Last edited:
OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the type that would prefer to take the least amount of risk, i know what can happen and also know it can happen with new/used. I can afford new, specially at that size but still weighing my options. I have a very attractive quote for a custom tank that has the width i would prefer but i know that the store tank would be considerable savings, savings that could be used towards the rest of the equipment.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So consensus is I'm not buying it. I don't trust my silicone skills
I know people are saying to leak test it like it's going to come crashing apart in two seconds. The reality is you should leak test any tank no matter how old or new it is. Most likely it will be fine.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always do a leak test, new old tank/custom tank it will run in the garage for a few days, not only to check the tank but also to check the plumbing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back