flsalty's Budget 75G Mixed Reef Build, finally

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of wanting to set up another reef tank, I am finally diving in. It's time to put all that reading to good use...

About me:
I've been keeping aquariums since I was around 7 years old. I may have hit my peak when I had 10 aquariums in a two bedroom apartment when I was in my twenties. My first SW tank was in the early/mid 80s. That was when we used to take out our dead coral decorations and bleach them clean. My first FOWLR was in the early 90s. That one consisted of fish and LR I collected from the intercoastal and beaches. My first proper reef was in the late 90s. I took that down when I started driving a truck OTR. I wasn't home enough and my wife didn't want the responsibility of taking care of it.

My wife passed away 4 years ago. Thanks to a heart attack and subsequent small stroke which messed with my peripheral vision I am now semi-retired (see what I did there?) with a home based business. I am finally in a position to get back into reefing.

The original plan:
At first I was just going to go with a 55 gallon, like my last reef. That soon gave way to a 75, no, a 90...lol. I had an idea to build a stand that would incorporate a small 29g planted tank below the 90, with a sump made out of a 40. That is still a dream.

The current plan:
What I ended up with is a complete used 75 gallon. I saw it on FB Marketplace and couldn't pass up the deal. More on that later. My goal is to keep this as simple and low tech as possible, as well as as cheap as possible. This build will probably appeal more to newbies than sophisticated tech people. Nothing wrong with high tech, I just prefer a more hands on approach to reefkeeping.

This will be a mixed reef. LPS will probably be dominant. SPS will tie into whatever coral gobies I get. As for fish, I like the idea of a lot of small fish rather than a few larger specimens. More on all that later.

So I hope you enjoy my thread. I welcome any questions or comments/suggestions.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of wanting to set up another reef tank, I am finally diving in. It's time to put all that reading to good use...

About me:
I've been keeping aquariums since I was around 7 years old. I may have hit my peak when I had 10 aquariums in a two bedroom apartment when I was in my twenties. My first SW tank was in the early/mid 80s. That was when we used to take out our dead coral decorations and bleach them clean. My first FOWLR was in the early 90s. That one consisted of fish and LR I collected from the intercoastal and beaches. My first proper reef was in the late 90s. I took that down when I started driving a truck OTR. I wasn't home enough and my wife didn't want the responsibility of taking care of it.

My wife passed away 4 years ago. Thanks to a heart attack and subsequent small stroke which messed with my peripheral vision I am now semi-retired (see what I did there?) with a home based business. I am finally in a position to get back into reefing.

The original plan:
At first I was just going to go with a 55 gallon, like my last reef. That soon gave way to a 75, no, a 90...lol. I had an idea to build a stand that would incorporate a small 29g planted tank below the 90, with a sump made out of a 40. That is still a dream.

The current plan:
What I ended up with is a complete used 75 gallon. I saw it on FB Marketplace and couldn't pass up the deal. More on that later. My goal is to keep this as simple and low tech as possible, as well as as cheap as possible. This build will probably appeal more to newbies than sophisticated tech people. Nothing wrong with high tech, I just prefer a more hands on approach to reefkeeping.

This will be a mixed reef. LPS will probably be dominant. SPS will tie into whatever coral gobies I get. As for fish, I like the idea of a lot of small fish rather than a few larger specimens. More on all that later.

So I hope you enjoy my thread. I welcome any questions or comments/suggestions.
Nice start any pics

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did the 75g come with?

Used gear from hobbiests is the best. I bought led lights one and the guy gave me a bubble Magnus curve 5 for free bc the needle wheel pump was broken.

OP
OP
F

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like I said, I originally wanted a 90. Then this 75 popped up in my FB feed.
Screenshot_20201224-231459.png

It came with a stand, hood, leds, skimmer, return pump, a couple power heads, some sort of reactor, and a wet/dry sump. I'll go into more details on each of those later.

They were asking $200, but took 175. Sold!

OP
OP
F

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the tank is sitting on my patio. It's just a basic 75 with black trim. I need to drill it for an overflow. It came with the old school siphon for the wet/dry. Been there, done that. I have no interest in going back to that. I did the test and it appears to be non-tempered. Now that the holidays are almost over, and I'm at the point where I'm waiting on some parts for the AR I'm building, I'll be able to devote more attention to this project.

KIMG0224.JPG

OP
OP
F

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, only the bottom may be tempered.

What overflow are you going to go with?
That's normally the case with these cheap tanks, but you never know so I tested it to make sure. I'm going with an Eshopps Eclipse M because I want to go with a Herbie overflow.

OP
OP
F

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason going herbie vs bean animal? If that doesn't have 1" drains, you're going to want an overflow with 1" drains
Mainly just for simplicity. Plus, I don't really need 1000 gph. The medium Eclipse has 1" drains and handles 800 gph, which is perfect for the return pump that came with this. The sump, which I'm going to convert to a regular three section sump, takes up a lot of real estate down there. Even with cutting it down some it looks like it will be a tight squeeze. I want a little wiggle room if I need to do repairs down the road. Besides, it fits into my low budget/low tech theme.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly just for simplicity. Plus, I don't really need 1000 gph. The medium Eclipse has 1" drains and handles 800 gph, which is perfect for the return pump that came with this. The sump, which I'm going to convert to a regular three section sump, takes up a lot of real estate down there. Even with cutting it down some it looks like it will be a tight squeeze. I want a little wiggle room if I need to do repairs down the road. Besides, it fits into my low budget/low tech theme.
I have a 75g and use herbie, works great.

OP
OP
F

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the stand with the hood sitting on top of it. The stand is in good shape with no damage. It just needs cleaned up. The hood is home made. It will do for now.

I don't have a lot of options for placement. This wall is the main traffic area for the front door. It's been sitting there for a few weeks and doesn't get in the way. My gf wants to see what it'll look like on the opposite wall. There's space there, but I think it will look too crowded. But then I'm thinking that might give me a reason to...hmmmm...balance it out with a longer tank on this wall. Yeah, she has no idea what she got herself into lol
KIMG0223.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a good feeling bout this one, I’m a fan of the simple/low tech and hands on approach. PS congrats on finally getting back into it!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back