75G Jinzuan Tank Build

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight we purchased this Jinzuan 75G tank. It’ll be pick up and delivered by a cross country shipping company on Feb 17/18 and should arrive to us shortly thereafter!

I know there are some who dislike any shaped tanks due to the distortion they cause at certain viewing angles. I feel this aquarium just fits the bill for being more a furniture piece in our space instead of a typical glass box.

The 60G reef build in the octagon aquarium has been coming along very nicely but there were a lot of downfalls. First, the size: I don’t want to go too big and 75 was the max for this reef. Just the extra 15G will be nice. Second is the shape. With just 12’ viewing panels, it’s hard to enjoy looking at the reef. There is a LOT of problems with refraction and you can’t actually see most of what’s in it due to the location is needs to stay in order to be child-proofed.

Here’ a pic of the new aquarium as it sits now.

IMG_7310.jpeg

OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s taken 8 hours moving everything over to the new tank. Everyone is accounted for and doing well. I just tossed all of the frags in the front to deal with later when the water clears up a bit…and I needed to head out shortly after getting everything moved.

Attachments

• IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything settled in to the new tank and is thriving! The OG Duncan has 3 new heads emerging at once on the one visible side at the front of the tank, and everyone else has been growing too! The few fishy inhabitants are loving the extra swim room!

Attachments

• IMG_8035.jpeg
    IMG_8035.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8043.jpeg
    IMG_8043.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8049.jpeg
    IMG_8049.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
JAS927

JAS927

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seems to be growing and thriving! I’ve been battling cyano for about a month - it’s been a lot of constant dusting off corals and removing what I can. I had a hair algae bloom for a bit but that’s seemingly gone now after lots of meticulous pulling it out with tweezers for a month straight!
Here’s a few pics of what’s going on!

Current (yea it needs a cleaning and water change/top up but life hasn’t given me the time to do that this week!) Lots of frags, but all are growing very well!
I’m disliking the lack of space for a sump under this tank. The under side is split in the centre with a solid divider. So under one side I have electrical cords and a large canister filter with UV and the other side is carbon and phos reactors. Due to this, I’ve had to increase the number of hoses and equipment that stays in the tank. I don’t have a solution for this just yet. The pump to the reactors on the right could be made neater. I haven’t had time lately to work on anything so I keep the hose up at the top to get some surface movement and incase of a power outage I don’t want to siphon the whole tank out - I discovered the reactors leak slowly. I replaced o-rings, tightened them appropriately, etc and there’s still water escaping ever so slowly that creeps up the threads. The skimmer and UV on the left don’t bother me as much.

IMG_8964.jpeg

Duncan, since it was one of the first corals added to this tank when it was contained in the octagon aquarium (see old tank thread)
It has 8 new heads that it’s growing all at once right now!

IMG_8970.jpeg

Very chubby mandarin we’ve had for a few months now
IMG_8972.jpeg

Stomatella friend spotted under the Kenya tree one day!

IMG_8476.jpeg

The little urchin who carries around full on frag plugs lol
IMG_8291.jpeg

Mr Steven Tyler the arrow crab that has devoured 1 large scarlet hermit, 1 green clown goby, and 1 pompom crab. I now feed him every second day with a chunk of shrimp scallop when I feed Dean (snowflake eel.) It’s seemed to have stopped his destructive rampages.
IMG_8279.jpeg

Torch that was added….it currently splitting, as are both the hammers.

IMG_8035.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back