New tank syndrone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gfox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2011
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
436
Location
michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a 60 cube with 20 gallon sump to a DSA 105 with a 100 gallon stock tank for a sump about a month ago.I used all new water and sand and the live rock from the 60 and used live bacteria Startsmart Complete.Transferred all the corals and fish over the course of 3 days.Everything is doing good only thing that is going on is I am getting brown diatoms on the sand bed and glass every day.Will this go away in time?I know I need more of a clean up crew then what I have now.
 
Yup, no worreis, it'll correct itself in a few weeks.
 
Should you just leave the sand alone?If I stir it up it looks the same next day.
 
Yea just leave the diatoms to be, they will go away on their own. I never suck any of them out I just clean them off the glass for viewing preference. They are a natural part of the process, and then if you have dry rock the "beautiful" green the rocks turn LOL.
 
From what I understand diatoms need silica to grow effectively. Once that is consumed from the new sand (and perhaps water) they will die off when the next type of algae grows. I'd leave it be for a few weeks and then siphon 'em out.
 
Thanks for the info.Been awhile since I last cycled a new tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new