New Tank Transfer

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Fluval M60 24 gallon AIO and soon I'll be transfering the rock, inhabitents, and most of the gear from that tank to a IM 25 Lagoon AIO. I have about 20-25lbs of rock that I'll be bringing over. I am going from a sandy substrate to travertine tile bottom. I have a handful of tiles in the Fluval sump in the back cycling to help ready the new tank. Based on this I had a couple questions.

1. What might I expect from this as far as fluctuations in parameters and any tips you might have for this process? The Fluval setup is about 1.5 yrs old and is my first reef tank.

2. My rock scape will change but any tips on securing wet live rock via glue or puddy during this process? Can you do this under water or do you have some time out of the tank to accompish that? I have had the luxury of sand help stablize that. I don't plan on anything too complicated either.

Any input appreciated!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my putty experience, you can't defy physics, but you can put the putty on, stick the rocks together, get them to "balance" more or less, and they will secure once it dries so urchins/clumsy arms etc. don't make them tumble..... I would ready a ball of putty for each, pull one piece out of the water, work it into the crevices etc, and then secure it to the other underwater.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back