New tank upgrade and moving stock

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been running a canister set up for over 8 month now as my first marine from years of trop keeping. It’s a 140 (30g).
It’s going great and I am hooked.
I have the space to upgrade and have my new 300 DT / 60 sump, total 360 litre (80g) system on its way.
I want to transfer all my corals fish and cuc to new set up once it’s cycled. I’m in no rush and happy to wait for new tank to settle to avoid losing any livestock I have invested so much time and care into.
I have been researching Negative space scapes and think I want to go this way and I’m looking forward to having a go at creating something with some wow factor.
I planned to leave space to also accommodate my existing established rock which I wanted to move over when ready. Most of this rock has a variety of coral growing such as two large zoa gardens, hammers, Duncan’s and candy canes which are all settled and doing well.
I was also thinking that moving the costing rock would add all that rich biodiversity to the new tank. I was also thinking about moving some of the bio media from canister to sump because I am sure this will be brimming with nitrifying bacteria.
So questions are: is this a good idea? Any tips and advice on the process and how to minimise any casualties when moving livestock and rock over? Anyone done anything like this before and any tips to share?
Before you suggest keeping both tanks, I can’t, I have made an eternal promise that once the bigger tank is ready the smaller one goes. You will know what that’s like I am sure
Pics are of existing tank to show general contents. In addition to of coral already mentioned I have a toadstool, GSP, paly colony, cloves, monti plate and stylo sps doing ok and cabbage. I have standard cuc, pair of clowns, two wrasse, fire fish, gramma and flame hawk. Also two awesome feather duster coco worms which are thriving (not on pics)
Thanks

IMG_8376.jpeg IMG_8375.jpeg IMG_8374.jpeg IMG_8392.png IMG_8387.png

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking if you move your rock and using media from your canister filter in the new sump you can moving livestock immediately. It is normally said to avoid moving the sand bed from one tank to another because this will allow all the nasties that have been caught up in the sand bed to come out. Since some of the BB will be lost due to not moving the sand bed, you could see at small spike in your parameters but is usually nothing to ne worried about.

Just make sure that you don't increase the bio load the new tank at the same time.

OP
OP
C

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment. I would only move what I have in the 30g to the 80g and wait before adding anything so that sounds like a possible plan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back