Moving tank questions

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a 55 gallon reef tank with a 40 gallon sump. that I need to move around 500 miles. I have a truck with a trailer that I plan to load everything onto, but I was mostly concerned with the reintroduction of livestock. I have 10 five gallon buckets with lids that I am gonna try to move the tank water with but I am unsure on once I set up the "new" tank on if I can reintroduce my livestock. It consists of two clownfish, two chromis, a torch coral, leather coral, chalice, candy cane, and some palythoas, plus some inverts. Once I setup the new tank with its live rock and tank water. Would I be able to introduce everything right away? Or should I seek someone who can temporarily hold onto my fish and coral. Also any other suggestions on moving an aquarium such a massive distance would be appreciated

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think having someone watch them is always safer, in case you run into issues. That being said I transported one once. Big thing was draining as much water out as possible while still keeping the sand wet. Rock and everything else went into totes and pails with water and the battery operated air pumps for water turnover. Fish/coral separate into coolers with air pumps so they didn't get crushed by shifting rock. Putting it back together try to avoid mixing the sand up, use a mix of some old and fresh saltwater, match salinity, float the fish for temp.

This is just my experience but I did a 55 gallon across the country this way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back