New tank with built in sump help!!

Neildz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a new tank for my daughter that has a built in sump. I cycled the tank with no filtration other than the skimmer. Now the tank is cycled so this "was" my plan for filtration. The sump is made up of 4 chambers. 1. Skimmer and bio pellet in the overflow camber. 2. Cemi pure and sponge in the second. 3. Refugium in the third. 4. Return pump in the fourth. Here is the problem, the first and second baffles are both open on the bottom!!!! Does this make any sense? I called the manufacture and they said it was to keep the water at the same level for expansion equipment. If this is true, then why install the second baffle? It serves no purpose, am I missing something? Here are some pics. Thanks
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Neildz

Neildz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baffles arn't adjustable! The only baffle the water flows over is to the return at the end of the sump. The company said they made the sump this way to keep the water at the same level. If that were true then why install a baffle in the first place? Or am I missing somthing?

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind, tell me the make of the tank and since I am retired, I will spend time on their website and the phone if needed and see if I can get some answers and possibly a plan for you on this setup.

OP
OP
Neildz

Neildz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind, tell me the make of the tank and since I am retired, I will spend time on their website and the phone if needed and see if I can get some answers and possibly a plan for you on this setup.
Thanks Kevin! The tank is a cadlights 34 gal mini. I did call them and they said this is how the tank is made, not an error. Anything will help at this point! I tried to glue a piece of plexi glass to block the bottom of the second baffle but now the water level is the same as the tank!!! Frustrating!!

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I expected to find reviews, pros and cons of the filtration setup, I didn't. I am going to call them in the a.m. I do see what you mean about the baffle setup. would have been nice to have it adjustable at least. I wonder if instead of using plexi to redirect the flow if you used either filter floss or safe sponge materiel so you can add more or less to set the depth where you want it without completely blocking it so it goes to the level of the tank (that may be why the extra baffle is there and open at the bottom) I will add that you could have done worse on your choice of systems:) Their customer service has an A rating with the business community so I am confident something good will be worked out. After I talk with them I will update.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back