New tank!

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I've had this new tank for a while now and I am thinking about what I want to do with it. Should I turn it into a nano reef tank or should I do a unique marine creature? Let me know what you guys think! Sadly the tank is definitely not the biggest (10 gallons) if any of you know about a unique creature I could put in here let me know! Its either that or a nano reef.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you could try a lime green mantis shrimp, but if you are going to get that, that is the  only  thing you can have in the tank, as they are  very  aggresive.

IMO, they look pretty cool, and dont get to big. I think that would be a unusual creature for your tank, that would fit nicely in it. They also aren't that expensive, only around 50 bucks.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, you could try a lime green mantis shrimp, but if you are going to get that, that is the  only  thing you can have in the tank, as they are  very  aggresive.

IMO, they look pretty cool, and dont get to big. I think that would be a unusual creature for your tank, that would fit nicely in it. They also aren't that expensive, only around 50 bucks.
Alright that's a definite option. Anybody got anything else?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about seahorses octopi eels? I really love Mantis shrimp but if you guys can think I can keep any of those I just might. Right now mantis shrimp is at the top.
You could keep dwarf sea horses, but to be honest, they are not that cool.

I don't know what you mean by "octopi eels", but I am going to mean you assume a octopi, and a eel.

To address the eels, I don't believe there is any that will work in your tank. The smallest one I have seen was just about a foot, which in your tank would not work.

To address the octopi, there really isn't any that will work in your tank. You would need at least a 30g tank because they are very intelligent creatures, who need a space to swim and have toys in the tank, stuff like that.

My vote is still the lime green mantis shrimp!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf seahorses would work; not so much with octopus and eels:
Generally, the recommended tank size for one dwarf octopus (the small species that get about the size of a hand) is 30 gallons (or more - larger is better for these guys, with most people who have kept them before recommending more in the range of 50-75 gallons for one).
Some other things you could do:
-Larger hermit crabs
-Oddball shrimp (like a pistol shrimp of a species that's free-living rather than an obligate symbiont
-Decorator crabs
-Predatory snails

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sounds good! I think ill go with the mantis shrimp
Make a build thread for the tank, I as well as many others I believe would like to see what you end up with!

Ollie67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just looked into them, they sound like scary creatures lol. This one article says they can even smash aquarium glass if threatened?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all!
I've had this new tank for a while now and I am thinking about what I want to do with it. Should I turn it into a nano reef tank or should I do a unique marine creature? Let me know what you guys think! Sadly the tank is definitely not the biggest (10 gallons) if any of you know about a unique creature I could put in here let me know! Its either that or a nano reef.
Please post a picture of the tank

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked into them, they sound like scary creatures lol. This one article says they can even smash aquarium glass if threatened?

It's not recommended to have them in glass tanks. Acrylic is usually a safer bet. I don't know what their tank is made of, but if it is acrylic, they should be good. Good point though, if it's glass then maybe it's a better idea to not get it...

Edit: Any mantis shrimp has the possibility of breaking glass, while it is a rare event, the owner should know that it's a possibility before hand.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one article says they can even smash aquarium glass if threatened?
Yeah, the breaking glass thing is really more an extreme, rare event with big specimens of large species (likely with thin glass or unnoticed structural integrity issues with the glass beforehand in at least some of the cases as well) - there are a handful of instances (see the quote and link below), but they're so uncommon as to be extreme statistical outliers.

So, the acrylic recommendation is more for peace of mind than anything.
oh hate mantis shrimp, my father had on in some living rock years ago and it grew and ended up striking at something on the glass , and cracked the 8mm glass. what a performance

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely sorry for the terrible photo.. It was taken on a laptop because I have no other device to use right now.
1708312258040.png

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass sadley
Hmm, I don't know if the lime green ones are capable of breaking glass, but I don't know... It depends on the thickness of the glass the species, and most importantly the  size  of the shrimp, obviously as they grow, they will have a stronger punch.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back