OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I don't do a mantis shrimp I'm going to do a peaceful nano tank so I can keep small invertebrates that i've never seen before. I can see them up close too! (sexy dancer shrimp, banded coral shrimp and a fire shrimp if its possible) not all in one tank of course just one of those would do fine. with them I would probably do a pair of fish (clownfish) or nano fish nobody really keeps a lot. But if I can do a mantis shrimp then I would definitely go for it!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not much info on that specific species, but what I do know is that they are  very aggressive.  This could increase the chances of them wanting to smack the glass, especially if they see their reflection. With the thin glass, and the aggression that they show, it may not be worth the risk, which is honestly very disappointing.

Reef tanks are always cool too. I am setting up a small 15G. I am most excited for a cleaner shrimp, which I think they are very cool. There are a lot of options for "unusual" or "weird" livestock you can put in your tank.

With that being said, here are a few options I think are cool, and would be  ok  in your tank.

-Cleaner Shrimp
-Nassarius Snails
-Tuxedo Urchins
-Brittle Stars
-Fighting Conchs

One tip if you are going to go for a reef tank, is to limit the amount if rock you put in.

Rock and sand will easily take away up to 20% of water, so that would leave you with roughly 8 gallons, and I can't tell from the photo, but if you have a sump, that could take up 1-2 gallons to, leaving you with about 6 gallons of swimming space, and with corals, even more. There's still space for stuff, but I would say a pair of clowns is max for that tank, with some small invertebrates.

1 other option for fish are firefish.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I think lime green mantis shrimp hide most of the time. From what I have heard you will actually be able to see the wennerae.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a wennerae mantis shrimp? I have seen they are less aggressive.
I have seen people pull them off in aqueon standard 10g glass tanks, but like I said, there is always a risk that they can break the glass, though I think there is less of a chance. It's up to you, but if you are, I would just buy a cheap backup tank, just in case it breaks the glass as a  preventative.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen people pull them off in aqueon standard 10g glass tanks, but like I said, there is always a risk that they can break the glass, though I think there is less of a chance. It's up to you, but if you are, I would just buy a cheap backup tank, just in case it breaks the glass as a  preventative.
I hear you thank you so much. I actually have a ten gallon tank that was once long ago my first freshwater fish tank of tetras. Than converted into a crested gecko habitat now its empty. That could be my backup!

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea whats going on here but this sure is interesting mantis shrimp and an angler together in a five gallon?!

That is cool, I have never seen it. I don't know how it would work, especially in a 5gal, but you know, there is somebody pulling it off!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back