New Tanks Build

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two trips to Lowe's... that's not committment.. :p

I went three times yesterday (albeit we had a washer go all water on the outside and sounded like a cement mixer and a dryer that was drying things about as fast as 20 foot of rope could) so it wasn't a fish tank day. It's a good thing I only went three times, it's about 25 minutes from here in any direction.

I ended up cheating to check my overflows... I figured dumping a quart of water in each one to check my plumbing down (pulled the new improved non-glued standpipes out). I have a lot of experience in plumbing tanks... failure generates this kind of experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one trip to Lowe's today to get wiring supplies. I got the system full of water and everything is pumping and cycling. Stopped all the leaks that I could find. Got the lights wired on the 120 today and the canopy installed. We like it! Tomorrow one of the canopies for the 180s will go on the porch for painting and wiring.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall readinb about you water proofing the stands with paint and pond liner. Do you take a picture of the inside of the stands? Would you mind showing us how the inside looks like now?

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I painted the bottom with Kilz Latex Primer-Sealer. I got a pond liner @ Lowe's and cut it to fit the bottoms with 4 - 5 inch extra to extend up on all sides and stapled it to the sides. I don't know how much good the paint will do but the pond liner was a real good idea. Thanx to Will for that idea. I made sure that the guys that put the sump in didn't try to slide it in and rip or pull loose the liner. They had to hold it up until they had it in place and set it straight down. The sump is sitting in a puddle of water now from all the spills and leaks over the last three days. Yep, the liner is an excellent idea. I don't know how long it will take for all the water to dry up but I really don't care now. If the liner was not there the bottom wood would probably be waterlogged. Also you can find every drip.

Here's a pic of the 120 stand with nothing in it and a pic of the stand with the sump.
new_tanks_22.jpg

new_tanks_23.jpg

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the explanation and the pictures, Harry!! I will do the same for the stand for my 180. I suppose you are not worried about the humidity inside the stand. I have not had any problem with AGA's stand of my 120. I painted oak stand and canopy of my 29 gallon tank with marine epoxy per someone's suggestion years ago. I am not sure if it was really necessary, but I did it since I could do that easily at that time.

I suppose you can buy a pond liner by yard?

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy it by the yard @ Home Depot. I found that it was cheaper to buy a precut liner at Lowe's and cut it up. I think it was something like 15 x 7 or something like that. I can't remember exactly but I think it was $35-$40. I still have a piece left that might be what you need.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's big enough to cover up the bottom of the stand for 180, please save it for me. Just let me know how much you want for it when I pick up the frags from you after the Montgomery swap :)

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be big enough. Is your tank 72 x 24 inches? I wouldn't take any money. Maybe a couple of frags. Do you still have any of the "6000 dollar" frags? A big starfish took the one I got from you in Nashville under the rock and I haven't seen it since. BTW, would you like a 20 inch starfish?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a frag of the infamous red favia - the price seems to go up every time I hear about it ;). I will bring it with me when I come over. 20" starfish? Ah... no thank you for that monster. Have you been spiking his food with steroid or something?

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an email from Ocea yesterday. My tank will be ready in a little while :).

I am getting excited and also anxious a bit about the transition into a new tank. I have started new tanks before without much issue at all, but I still get the butterflies. I am going to take it slow this time, using restraint and self-control, the virtues that I find scarce at times...

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, just fill it up, dump the salt in, let it mix overnight, and move the livestock. If you're worried about that, next thing you know you'll be testing for things like alk and pH. :bigsmile:

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think H@rry's slipping... If he's forgoing life long philosophies on tank rearing for the garden hose, I'm not sure what this world's coming too:D.

Tomoko-are you planning on coming down to the Montgomery Coral Market this weekend? Sounds like there will be lots of nice frags...

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? No peeing in the tank for cycling?

Shuuu . . . . :embarrassed:

Actually, I don't think there's anything in the tanks to cause a cycle. I kinda thought all the sand that had been sitting in buckets for a couple of weeks would cause a mini cycle but I tested Thursday and everything showed 0. That was 2 days after I finally got the system filled and the pump running. I installed the skimmer the same day and while it is bubbling fine I can't get anything to foam over into the cup unless I raise the level and then it just water with the dust from the sand. We can see some worm tunnels in the sand at the glass so I know everything didn't die. I installed the calcium reactor Saturday and yesterday the alk was 7.2. The water finally cleared up and yesterday I tried to level the sand out in the tanks and got the water all murky again. I think I'll put a couple of things like shrooms and leathers in today to see what they will do. I already put 2 snails in a couple of days ago and they haven't died.

My schedule in a hold right now. I have the lights on 2 of the tanks and the canopy for the other one is on the porch all painted and ready. I decided to not try to do the cut-over this week because on the MGM swap Saturday. If I did and had any problem that would complicate both of these events. I decided that I'll strip the lights and fans from the 225 canopy Monday and get them transferred to the new canopy and set that on the tank and then do the cut-over on Tuesday.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Harry and Mary Ruth, It was great to see you and both again! Are you going to post more pictures of this setup? I am axious to see it, MaryRuth and I were talking about your new setup and I can hardly wait to see it... Jack want to come and see it ... if you all will have us...
Kathy

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary Ruth and I got the lights and fans out of the old 225 canopy and into the last 180 canopy today. Tomorrow I will get the wiring somewhat organized (not just coils of wires and powerstrips on the floor). Then we plan to make the cutover on Wednesday. I think it will take a couple of days before all the dust settles and we'll post some pics.

And what's this "if you all will have us.." stuff? You know you are welcome to drop by any time. But the backside of that coin is; you have to put up with us coming to see your enterprise. I know it will be uphill for us but we can find you!

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you all just come on up the hill your welcome anytime!!!!! Jack and I are very interested in seeing the new "L" and we will very soon
Kathy

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back