New Tanks Build

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Coming from Ocea. This tank ties into my long temr plans of the filtration room that has been in the works since we moved (though at less than a snail's pace, admittedly). Before the new tnak goes in place, I have to put in the plumbig for the filtration room onto the displays. That's going to be a major PITA, but running power and actually installing the PVC are the only things left to do, so I'm running out of excuses for being lazy. I can't wait for it to be all up and running, but I suspect that will take a while...

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have gotten used to the sound of the overflows because we have quit complaining about them. One thing that probably helped was I reduced the flow going through the tanks. I thought I had an air leak between the sump and the return pump because there were so many bubbles in the tanks. I got a flashlight down on the return end of the sump and it was full of bubbles. The water coming down the drains was churning so much that the baffles did little good. All the bubbles just flushed through. I'm still not through but I tighten down one of the ball valves on the returns every day.

We got a ductless heat/cool system installed behind the tanks yesterday. The window air conditioner couldn't keep up with all the heat from the lights.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a ductless heat/cool system installed behind the tanks yesterday. The window air conditioner couldn't keep up with all the heat from the lights.

Wow, that sounds like some intense lighting. I recall that you have a big pump. Does throttling it down cause the pump to run hotter?

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not the pump, it's the lights. I've got 8 MHs, 4 VHOs, and 6 T5s in this room. Not to mention a dehumidifier, a TV, and 2 computers that generate heat too.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not mean that the pump heated up the room or the water. I figured that the hot temp in the room/water was due to the intense lighting.

As for the pump, I was wondering about the loading on the pump. Some pumps kick out if overloaded, but I guess aquarium pumps do not have such protective mechanism on their motors.

My study where my aquarium sits is rather small although it is open to the foyer and adjacent rooms. I hope I can get away with just fans. I intend to use three 20K or 14K 250W MH bulbs without actinic lamps.

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the room just to the left when you come in the front door? (Where I saw your other tank). If so you already had at least two MHs on it. Do you have a ceiling fan? It will probably be OK.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Harry. Yes, it's the same room. The new tank will be on the opposite wall to the existing one. I don't have a ceiling fan unfortunately. The new tank will have a built-in-look with a canopy and flanking book cases whereas the current tank has a pendant light fixture without any enclosure. I will have two 4 inch fans mounted on the new canopy. I may add a 6 inch fan over the sump and see how it goes. I will be replacing my Mag Drive 12 pump, which is quite a heat generator, with something like a Eheim or a Ocean Runner pump.

Tomoko

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got three new acans from Jason and Tammy yesterday. They're quietly laying on the sandbed now. I'll clean the glass and get some pics later on. Other than that everthing's rockin' on pretty well I guess.

tangsrbest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run my overflow line below the water level of the sump that seems to quieten the overflow noise a lot

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got three new acans from Jason and Tammy yesterday. They're quietly laying on the sandbed now. I'll clean the glass and get some pics later on. Other than that everthing's rockin' on pretty well I guess.

I wanna see! :)

JimW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it "later on" yet?
Awesome tanks!

Jim

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, finally got around to taking the pics. We really like these. We were down at Tammy and Jason's yesterday and they had some nice ones.
acan1.jpg

This one is M@ry Ruth's favorite!
acan2.jpg

acan3.jpg

RyanG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there H@rry, is there anyway you can piece together a few full system shots? I always keep an eye out for your frag threads and I would love to see how the system looks as a whole. Thanks!

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Ryan, I have been putting off taking FTS for a while. Things keep changing but you're right, I will post some pics soon.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back