ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking to build a 75-gallon tank setup for a snowflake eel. I would like to be able to keep the tank for a long time and upgrade it as we go, but for now, I'm wondering what the cheapest/most efficient filtration setup would be.

I have been doing quite a bit of research but I'm still a little lost with all of the options. We're planning on getting an Aqueon open glass 75-gallon tank, but I'm struggling to find a tight-fitting lid that would still allow for a reef light to either be added or come already installed (we are also interested in adding a few small corals eventually). I would like to just have the tank on an old TV stand and build the filtration into that but we are concerned about having an efficient setup that isn't going to break the bank right off the bat.

Product recommendations and setup layouts are highly appreciated!

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking to build a 75-gallon tank setup for a snowflake eel. I would like to be able to keep the tank for a long time and upgrade it as we go, but for now, I'm wondering what the cheapest/most efficient filtration setup would be.

I have been doing quite a bit of research but I'm still a little lost with all of the options. We're planning on getting an Aqueon open glass 75-gallon tank, but I'm struggling to find a tight-fitting lid that would still allow for a reef light to either be added or come already installed. I would like to just have the tank on an old TV stand and build the filtration into that but we are concerned about having an efficient setup that isn't going to break the bank right off the bat.

I wouldn't worry about a reef light if you're intending on a predator tank. Usually these are 2 seperate things.

For filtration a HoB filter is all that's needed. Things get expensive when you go the reef route, not fish only.

OP
OP
C

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about a reef light if you're intending on a predator tank. Usually these are 2 seperate things.

For filtration a HoB filter is all that's needed. Things get expensive when you go the reef route, not fish only.
We were considering starting with just that while the eel is the only inhabitant so that's good to know.

I just wasn't sure if it would be powerful enough. I would like to consider adding some small corals into the tank eventually which is why I'm considering a more complex filtration system and lighting.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were considering starting with just that while the eel is the only inhabitant so that's good to know.

I just wasn't sure if it would be powerful enough. I would like to consider adding some small corals into the tank eventually which is why I'm considering a more complex filtration system and lighting.
Eels will be messy eaters and create higher nutrients in the system, making it difficult on some corals. On top of that they will eat your clean up crew.

To combat this your best bet would be a sump, growing macro algae and a skimmer.

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snowflake eels! Nice choice. I think you could do a canister filter they are less expensive than a sump. Sometimes on very understocked tanks that are small you can just do a protein skimmer but the hang on back ones can be finicky. A good option to me would be the canister filter. A brand I trust is fluval, they are around 125$ while a sump can be much more expensive around 500$

OP
OP
C

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love snowflake eels! Nice choice. I think you could do a canister filter they are less expensive than a sump. Sometimes on very understocked tanks that are small you can just do a protein skimmer but the hang on back ones can be finicky. A good option to me would be the canister filter. A brand I trust is fluval, they are around 125$ while a sump can be much more expensive around 500$
Thank you! The little girl we're looking at has been at our LPS for about a month now with no interest, but we have visited her regularly and are finally deciding to set up a tank for her! (now that Petco has the 50% off tank sale going on lol)

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been doing quite a bit of research but I'm still a little lost with all of the options. We're planning on getting an Aqueon open glass 75-gallon tank, but I'm struggling to find a tight-fitting lid that would still allow for a reef light to either be added or come already installed (we are also interested in adding a few small corals eventually). I would like to just have the tank on an old TV stand and build the filtration into that but we are concerned about having an efficient setup that isn't going to break the bank right off the bat.

Snowflake eels are not something for a beginner to keep. Be careful!

A 75 gallon tank at 8 pounds per gallon of water is 600 pounds in water. I doubt a TV stand would hold that much weight.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thoughts...
go with that tank if you dont want to drill it for over flow get the lifereef overflow box ( only one i personally would trust ) and a smaller tank I would suggest a 40BR for sump.

a cheap return pump. I like jebaos. a used skimmer and build or buy an algae turf scrubber (ATS)
before you do that, look around for used tanks that people are getting out of the hobby. often times you can pick up some really great deals.

just stay away from the red sea G1 tanks they are know to have seam issues.

OP
OP
C

ClaraBell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't.

They have tank size requirements, special diet and other needs the are beyond the skills of a beginner.
I appreciate your input but even though I am new to the saltwater tank hobby, I do currently have a successful nano reef and I have been deeply involved in freshwater tanks for well over decade. I’m also about to graduate with a bachelors degree in zoology and I make sure to thoroughly research each animal I am interested in before I decide to take them into my care (as evidenced by the questions above).

Again, I do genuinely appreciate your feedback and I will continue to take every comment into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your input but even though I am new to the saltwater tank hobby, I do currently have a successful nano reef and I have been deeply involved in freshwater tanks for well over decade. I’m also about to graduate with a bachelors degree in zoology and I make sure to thoroughly research each animal I am interested in before I decide to take them into my care (as evidenced by the questions above). So while I do enjoy visiting sushi restaurants, I can assure you that my eel would never be joining me.

Again, I do genuinely appreciate your feedback and I will continue to take every comment into consideration.

Obviously, you aren't a beginner. I'm sure you will do fine.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it isn't.

They have tank size requirements, special diet and other needs the are beyond the skills of a beginner.

Good luck with it. Maybe you can donate it to the local sushi restaurant after.
Tank size has nothing to do with skill and neither does frozen food.

Last edited by a moderator:

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you care to explain how exactly keeping a snowflake eel is in any way difficult?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you care to explain how exactly keeping a snowflake eel is in any way difficult?

No, because I feel you are more interested in confrontation than education.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated that a very easy to care for fish is too difficult for a beginner. And that tank size and feeding were what required skill. A 75 gallon, which the op stated is the tank size they are going with, is more than sufficient for a snowflake eel to thrive, and tank size is a function of wallet size, not skill level. And Im not sure in what world feeding chopped up seafood to a fish can be measured as difficult but its not this one.

If you truly believe that caring for a snowflake eel is difficult then, please, describe how. And if you have nothing to back that up with why are you giving someone that you originally stereotyped as a beginner faulty information?

Also, you seem to be thinking that Im attacking you so let me negate that by stating I agree with you about the tv stand not being a great idea, that was solid advice to give.

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You stated that a very easy to care for fish is too difficult for a beginner. And that tank size and feeding were what required skill. A 75 gallon, which the op stated is the tank size they are going with, is more than sufficient for a snowflake eel to thrive, and tank size is a function of wallet size, not skill level. And Im not sure in what world feeding chopped up seafood to a fish can be measured as difficult but its not this one.

If you truly believe that caring for a snowflake eel is difficult then, please, describe how. And if you have nothing to back that up with why are you giving someone that you originally stereotyped as a beginner faulty information?

Also, you seem to be thinking that Im attacking you so let me negate that by stating I agree with you about the tv stand not being a great idea, that was solid advice to give.
Well, in my opinion, feeding can be a set back. First step is finding the proper food, and insuring it is eating the food. Then eels are not like typical fish, they are more similar to a snake, they should not be fed more than four times a week, they also prefer to be fed live food. They prefer shrimp as they are crustacean eaters in nature.

They also require an RO/DI system for pure water because they cannot under any circumstances have copper in their water, they have weird habits, such as their 'hibernation' cycles of not eating and being hidden for up to weeks on end.

They also are the equivalent to a Houdini, and will attempt to escape at any time and explore the outside of their tank leading to their death.

Whilst they don't require perfect parameters, they should still have a good quality of water and weekly water changes should help with this. They are a good beginner eel though.

I have never kept a snowflake eel or an eel in general, but I had a phase a year ago where I wanted one, and did a lot of research on them, and how to be a good owner to them, this is just a basic synopsis of my research. I do however currently own a successful reef tank with a variety of corals, and fish in it.

nature_niko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! The little girl we're looking at has been at our LPS for about a month now with no interest, but we have visited her regularly and are finally deciding to set up a tank for her! (now that Petco has the 50% off tank sale going on lol)
That’s amazing! I bet that snowflake eel will be happy! Just make sure you research some of their feeding requirements and make sure the tank is escape proof then you will be good to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back