OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Man, I love it. Joe has been wanting me to run my returns out of the return/drain box break a tooth and slide the return through so that it break the siphon. But man, I think you figured this out. I am going to share this with Joe in the AM. I'll be in touch, thank you so much. This is going to be a fun build. I really appreciate you.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - here's what I'm thinking. its pretty ambitions, but, I think its possible to do this without powerhead, or at least with very minimal additional flow

1713145007484.png The closed loop will utilize both 1in and 3/4in RFGs with 4 man outlets. Since you'll be using the Abyzz A400 as your Closed Loop pump, you will have plenty of flow to drive this many RFGs

here's the overview - starting from the end of the tank to the back wall

Outlet at the end of the tank will be a manifold with 4, 3/4in RFGs on stand pipe that you can be set at various heights.

The two in the middle and on the back wall will act as drivers to push flow down the length of the tank, with the 4 at the breaking up the forward flow. This will create a nice and strong, randomzied undertow that will draw its way back to the drain on the back wall.

The return lines from the sump will flank the overflow and have 1in RFGs - one on each side the the overflow.

1713145173889.png

Obviously, run this past your tank builder and make sure the bulkheads positions and sizes will work.

What do you think?
Awesome design for CL. VCA makes a great product. I wish I would have incorporated more of them into my build.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Awesome design for CL. VCA makes a great product. I wish I would have incorporated more of them into my build.
Thanks. Joe suggested a minor tweak, which I agreed with. I also emailed @Tidal Gardens (Thanks guys for such a quick response) and asked them what they do with the sizing of their bulkheads for the closed loops and how they hand the returns on their CL's with their Abyzz pumps.
1) I need a coast to coast weir, so we will knock a couple teeth out on both sides and run the lock line through/over the weir (also causing a break in the siphon) and then into position where Antonio has them indicated.
2) Bottom return CL bulkheads will both be 1.5", will reduce the one down on the wet side of the BH.
3) The drain for the CL will be 2" to match the inlet of the Abyzz.
4) In the notched weir box (name?) since you won't see any of this plumbing from "displaying sides" we are offsetting the holes in the box so that the plumbing on the short side doesn't run into any of the other. There are 3 additional holes on the short side plus the 5 holes in the box. So that 8 lines being plumbed on that short side.

I think @Vivid Creative Aquatics did a freaking incredible job on this design. And, simply by seeing my post. What an amazing company. Looking forward to this.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Joe suggested a minor tweak, which I agreed with. I also emailed @Tidal Gardens (Thanks guys for such a quick response) and asked them what they do with the sizing of their bulkheads for the closed loops and how they hand the returns on their CL's with their Abyzz pumps.
1) I need a coast to coast weir, so we will knock a couple teeth out on both sides and run the lock line through/over the weir (also causing a break in the siphon) and then into position where Antonio has them indicated.
2) Bottom return CL bulkheads will both be 1.5", will reduce the one down on the wet side of the BH.
3) The drain for the CL will be 2" to match the inlet of the Abyzz.
4) In the notched weir box (name?) since you won't see any of this plumbing from "displaying sides" we are offsetting the holes in the box so that the plumbing on the short side doesn't run into any of the other. There are 3 additional holes on the short side plus the 5 holes in the box. So that 8 lines being plumbed on that short side.

I think @Vivid Creative Aquatics did a freaking incredible job on this design. And, simply by seeing my post. What an amazing company. Looking forward to this.
Glad I could help out on your build. it is going to be an amazing setup.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is the first draft of the new configuration. Closed loop needs work, easy fixes. The stand will stay the same from the original configuration. Only closed loop will be below in the larger of the two sections. The shallow section will face the kitchen and be used for storage. The front and left side will face kitchen while the left side will be viewable from the fish room.

Attachments

• 43618 Chris Freader 1 of 2.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 43618 Chris Freader 2 of 2.t2d (1).pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 14

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back