Questions about closed loops?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Closed loop systems have the "overflow" and "return" plumbed directly to the pump and are always submerged/in a state of "syphon"? Is this correct? Having a closed loop system has nothing to do with filtration correct? I have seen people keep the closed loop pumps underwater, but that is just for cooling and noise right?

What are the advantages of such a system and do most people also run a sump in conjunction with closed loop? If that is the case is the closed loop just acting as a wave maker?

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
closed loop does not filter, it acts as a wave maker and circulates the water by directly sucking it from the display into a pump. you can submerge the pump if you want to but its not necessary. Closed loop allows you to not have wavemakers or fans on your tank walls. looks more natural IMO.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop systems have the "overflow" and "return" plumbed directly to the pump and are always submerged/in a state of "syphon"? Is this correct? Having a closed loop system has nothing to do with filtration correct? I have seen people keep the closed loop pumps underwater, but that is just for cooling and noise right?

What are the advantages of such a system and do most people also run a sump in conjunction with closed loop? If that is the case is the closed loop just acting as a wave maker?
Closed loop is used for water movement only. They were popular in the past when we didn't have the awesome wave pumps we have today. There's pumps designed to be completely out of the water,

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop is used for water movement only. They were popular in the past when we didn't have the awesome wave pumps we have today. There's pumps designed to be completely out of the water,
You can't lie though closed loops are much more clean looking than having wave makers stuck on the glass. plus with new pumps like the vectra line up they offer a lot of different setting you can little around with

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't lie though closed loops are much more clean looking than having wave makers stuck on the glass. plus with new pumps like the vectra line up they offer a lot of different setting you can little around with
That is why I'm running one now :grinning-squinting-face:

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can have a closed loop filter as well. I have a closed loop filter as you described, where the intake and return are tied into 1 closed loop system- bead filter, UV, heater, chiller, all in-line.

I used that setup, because I have a remote fish room, without an ability to use gravity to drain.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back