Abyzz A400 or other large pump users - Please help with my question

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am working towards a build where the display is close to 400G. I purchased an Abyzz A400 for the closed loop. The questions surrounds the hole that my builder (GC) will cut for the drain for the closed loop. The A400 has a 2 inch inlet. Should the hole be 2 inches so that there is zero restrictions to the pump? Builds I have seen some have 1.5" and some have 2" for similar setups. I have to get this information into my builder today/tomorrow. There will be 4 closed loop returns 2 - 1" and 2 - 1.5".

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abyzz for closed loop?? Much cheaper options of same power, abyzz would make a better return pump:)

I was always under the impression that the inlet of a pump cannot be restricted at all but the outlet can. So you would need a 2” drain for the inlet

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot choke down the inlet of the pump(it will cause cavitation, and not supply the pump with enough water(gravity fed)).

You can choke down the outlet as this is just like adding head.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Abyzz for closed loop?? Much cheaper options of same power, abyzz would make a better return pump:)

I was always under the impression that the inlet of a pump cannot be restricted at all but the outlet can. So you would need a 2” drain for the inlet
lol, I don’t need to turn my sump 45 times an hour. Going for no power heads, well, there will have to be 2 in case of power failure while I am not home. It was used for 2 months and the guy let it go for 1/2 price. Couldn’t pass it up. I’m OK with overkill.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You cannot choke down the inlet of the pump(it will cause cavitation, and not supply the pump with enough water(gravity fed)).

You can choke down the outlet as this is just like adding head.
That’s what I thought and the feedback I was looking for.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
lol, I don’t need to turn my sump 45 times an hour. Going for no power heads, well, there will have to be 2 in case of power failure while I am not home. It was used for 2 months and the guy let it go for 1/2 price. Couldn’t pass it up. I’m OK with overkill.
Even got his BRS receipt. Small world, guy lived like 3 blocks from me and we never crossed reefing circles prior.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an abzz, but I won a huge MRC pump on here I use for my mixing station.

When I first plumbed it I used 1", where the inlet of the pump was 2". It would not push water, and cavitate inside the volute.

When I reached out to MRC, they explained in some very sciency way on why I had to go with the 2" on the inlet, but could choke down the outlet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back