New to acros re:acclimation/tank introduction.

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjsreefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bjsreefer

Equal parts fish and child wrangler
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2025
Messages
789
Reaction score
581
Location
Florida, USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Just getting home with a slew of new acros to add to my 90g! But I want to make sure I’m doing acros right: I have magnetic racks on either side of my tank halfway down directly under prime 16hd’s, but when introducing acros, is it better to keep them low initially and then bring them up onto the racks after a few days? They weren’t shipped just in a box for a few hours. Thanks!
 
This may not be the case for you but I have had really, really bad luck attempting to light acclimate.

I have a mature (2 year) tank which has been stable and otherwise health for months and months and months. But I simply could not get my acros and monties to survive to reach their final spot in the tank through an acclimation process. Because of my past failures I became even more cautious and incremental in my approach but eventually they would die. I ruled out everything I could think of including PAR, some kind of contamination, faulty tests etc etc.

I bought some frags 3 months ago. I was so disappointed and discouraged I didn't even want to look at the them. I just dipped them and placed them in the final spot I wanted them. No acclimation.

They are not only surviving, they are growing and getting more colourful by the day. You may be a better reef keeper than me and successfully do it but I think there is probably some truth to the idea that each time you disturb the coral, even by just a slight adjustment, is another piece of stress they don't need. Better to rip off the band-aid quickly.
 
This may not be the case for you but I have had really, really bad luck attempting to light acclimate.

I have a mature (2 year) tank which has been stable and otherwise health for months and months and months. But I simply could not get my acros and monties to survive to reach their final spot in the tank through an acclimation process. Because of my past failures I became even more cautious and incremental in my approach but eventually they would die. I ruled out everything I could think of including PAR, some kind of contamination, faulty tests etc etc.

I bought some frags 3 months ago. I was so disappointed and discouraged I didn't even want to look at the them. I just dipped them and placed them in the final spot I wanted them. No acclimation.

They are not only surviving, they are growing and getting more colourful by the day. You may be a better reef keeper than me and successfully do it but I think there is probably some truth to the idea that each time you disturb the coral, even by just a slight adjustment, is another piece of stress they don't need. Better to rip off the band-aid quickly.
I looked into it and decided I needed to dip and place tonight to not leave them in unoxygenated bags overnight, so I did. I am not light acclimating since I know they like bright lights and I saw the lighting conditions they came from (250g with 8 xr30 G4’s and suspect my 2 xr15’s are similar PAR.

So we’ll see how it goes! Have a bunch more still on the way so my tank build thread is about to be quite different! 🤣
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new