New to Favias

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, - I have a question for those with Favia. I was finally able to move my Favia out of a corner to take a closer look. I bought this in late October and it is beautiful - my first one. I put it in a corner away from the others since I read they can get angsty. I do not recall seeing spots until a couple of weeks after it was in the tank. I had hoped it was algae on the glass but there are some dark or brown spots on the side near the glass. Is this from too much light or maybe too close to the glass? My tank parameters look ok right now although I did have a phosphate flurry that the tank recently recovered from. It rose to .47 in November and took weeks to stabilize. So could this have affected it?

Attaching a couple of pics from today from different angles.

On Dec 22, I took some amazing pics of it extending its feeding tentacles I am guessing. How often do they do this? adding that pic too as it was so cool but I have not seen it do that recently.

Readings today: pH 8.1, temp 78, 35ppt salinity, Phosphates .08, Nitrates 4.1, AK 8.8, MG 1400.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

1704605984918.jpeg 1704606035745.jpeg 1704606496394.png

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bite or sting mark. Since you said it’s away from corals we can rule that out hopefully. I had a torch do some damage that looked like that. I thought it was far enough away. But they can get rather long throughout the day. Do you have an urchin in your tank. I used to have a long spine that would munch on coral sometimes.

OP
OP
K

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bite or sting mark. Since you said it’s away from corals we can rule that out hopefully. I had a torch do some damage that looked like that. I thought it was far enough away. But they can get rather long throughout the day. Do you have an urchin in your tank. I used to have a long spine that would munch on coral sometimes.
I had no one near him- someone suggested it was too close to the class or that algae I couldn't clean. In the tank, I have a green singularia tree, leather carpet, GSP, candy cane, and zoas, but they are far from it. I have 2 Grubes Gorgonians. I did notice when I moved the Favia rock the other day the tenacles were out, and I think the Gorgonian was too close to it, so I moved it a bit. I have 2 tuxedo urchins, but I have never seen them on that coral, although they clean all the others. Also, I have a hermit crab, but I have never seen him on the Favia.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you have time push some mysis or brine into the feeding tentacles. I usually turn the flow off to let the get a better grasp at the food throughout this as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back