New to forum and the hobby...

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I joined the site about a week ago and am in the planning phase of a new saltwater aquarium build. I think i've decided on the WaterBox Marine 70.3 Plus Edition as my initial basic setup. The primary goal is to have some corals and a few fish, my daughter really wants a Nemo clownfish - she'd love to have a Dory blue tang but I don't think we've got the space for the size tank that would require. So, right now i am in the process of deciding where the tank will live - see pic below for the 3 places I'm considering and let me know what you think???

I'm a newcomer to saltwater - had a freshwater system in college and loved it, but that was many years ago. My wife would really like for it not to smell and to look good (she doesn't like the white/black cabinet options from WB, she'd rather me find something more aesthetically pleasing but that seems incredibly hard to find). I've been reading and prepping for the tank purchase for a couple months and I feel like i need to just order one and quit wasting time. Any input you guys/gals have for a firsttimer would be great. I've watched countless youtube videos about things from top 10 mistakes to top 5 pieces of equipment to nitrogen cycle to you name it. Is there a tried and true method to follow to prevent disease and ensure high probability of success?

Looking forward to getting going and any input on placement is much appreciated...
Where to put the WaterBox.jpg

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I like position 1.
Thank you, and thanks for the input! Apologies for the messy pic, we're still unpacking and getting settled. I think I like #1 as well, was a little worried about foot traffic though - me, my wife and our 2 yo daughter. On that note, is a child strong enough to pull an aquarium over? Is there anyway to secure it to the wall?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and thanks for the input! Apologies for the messy pic, we're still unpacking and getting settled. I think I like #1 as well, was a little worried about foot traffic though - me, my wife and our 2 yo daughter. On that note, is a child strong enough to pull an aquarium over? Is there anyway to secure it to the wall?
Unless they are a 5 ft 2 year old, LOL, I would think it would be about impossible for her to pull it over. At 70 gals total water volume, the tank will weigh roughly 560 pounds without the cabinet, tank, and extras. If you feel you must secure it then you could secure the stand to the wall with some straps and wall anchors.

As far as the messy pic, I am a single guy in a 6000 sg ft house, your house is clean, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I like position 1 as it seems to be more of a central location. I’d be worried about #3 as the opening and closing of the door might create temperature and light swings. Even fish need quiet time.

One other quick point. Not sure if you have a basement or slab but the tank will weigh quite a bit once the water and rock are added. So double check that the floor can hold the weight.

enjoy!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy

Numero dos. That way when you are working at the dining table enjoyin the tank. The kids can make a mess and party the living room. 3 is a danger spot. Too much to worry about coming in the front door. Skis, boots, soccer balls, baseball bats..........

No dory... but a shrimp has plenty of action. It can be trained to be hand fed.

OP
OP
DothanReefer

DothanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a slab foundation, so weight shouldn't be a problem. Think I've settled on #1, the dining would work well but then I have to figure out where to put the piano - not an easy task.

So that said, is a Waterbox a good system to start with? Eventually would love to have this apex controller I keep hearing about - no clue if that's possible with the setup I'm looking at. But automation and ease of maintenance are certainly attractive.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44DDCCC6-F9CD-4786-BAEA-F1C49CD442FF.gif

Welcome to the R2R family! Definitely #.. A tried and true method to prevent disease? Quarantine quarantine quarantine! I learned the hard way.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Position 1 and also Welcome to R2R!!!

You might find this useful and anything else just ask

Back