New to fragging! Help!

Mikeand Mel

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2017
Messages
167
Reaction score
50
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large finger coral I need to reduce.
It has attached to a couple of rocks. I was hoping to take it out ofd the tank to divide.
Not sure if I should cut it off of rock before taking it out,
The next problem is the toadstool coral is attached to the same rock, it too has grown off its "home"
piece of live rock and on to another. Can i cut it off the second rock.
Help I have no idea where to start.
finger.jpg
finger.jpg
toadstool.jpg


toadstool2.jpg
 
I have a large finger coral I need to reduce.
It has attached to a couple of rocks. I was hoping to take it out ofd the tank to divide.
Not sure if I should cut it off of rock before taking it out,
The next problem is the toadstool coral is attached to the same rock, it too has grown off its "home"
piece of live rock and on to another. Can i cut it off the second rock.
Help I have no idea where to start.
finger.jpg
finger.jpg
toadstool.jpg


toadstool2.jpg

Prepare some saltwater for a water change and have some GAC on hand to run in the system. Clean razor and cut away the pieces you dont want. Any tissue left attached on the rocks will regrow a new coral.
 
I've read that cutting a leather, or making them angry, could release toxins?
 
I've read that cutting a leather, or making them angry, could release toxins?

Not toxins in harming humans, but towards other corals. Thus water change and running some GAC.

I've done it numerous time over the years.
 
Just finished cutting coral and did water change and ran carbon......lost 6 fish and corals look p****ed!
Any suggestions?
 
FYI finally tank back to normal....minus fish casualties.
I now know I will never frag in tank again!!!
Although I took about 1/5 of leather out, I still need to remove quite abit more.
My toadstool has planted on the rock i need to remove. Does the toadstool release toxins when cut also?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new