New to hobby and overwhelmed with lighting options

Millie Mae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been researching lighting for the past two days, much to my husband's dismay. I've really been struggling with choosing the right lighting for my tank. I am new to the hobby and recently purchased a fully stocked 54 gallon corner reef tank. The corals in the tank are soft corals and 1 lps coral. I would very much like to add an anemone at some point, but know I would need stronger lighting. The light that came with the tank is a Fluval Marine and Reef 2.0 LED, model A3993 (the 2013) version. I was hoping to add lighting vs. replacing the current LED light. I don't have a very high budget. I'd prefer not to spend more than $200, but could go to $250 if necessary. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking into supplementing with T5 HO, but can't seem to find many fixtures available and am confused with the watts, etc and how many I would need. Thanks in advance!!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corner tanks are a bit hard to light because of the odd dimensions. $200 is difficult to work with as well for a quality fixture but it can be done. I’m not sure of the dimensions of that tank but I would think that an OceanRevive-T247 may be your best bet for under $200.
If you want to supplement using T5 instead, you’re going to probably go with 2 fixtures that can fit 2 bulbs each. Depending on the look you like you can do a different bulb combination but I would suggest 4 ATI Blue Plus or 2 of those and 2 coral plus if you like a more white look. I can’t tell you how big of a fixture because I’m not sure of the tank dimensions.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is to get a T5 only system.
ATI will give you the very best you can get for that money.
Choose the fixture that will cover the area above the tank...
It's going to cost more than $200.00.
You pay for what you get.
Grandis.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of the Ocean Revive T247 as well. I have lps and softies and birds nest and cats paw. Plenty of light for them. My blues are on 18 and whites on 1. Any more than that and they complain. Running it for a year and a half with zero issues.

OP
OP
M

Millie Mae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will look into the lights mentioned. My tank dimensions are 27 inches deep, 39 inches wide and 24 inches tall.

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been researching lighting for the past two days, much to my husband's dismay. I've really been struggling with choosing the right lighting for my tank. I am new to the hobby and recently purchased a fully stocked 54 gallon corner reef tank. The corals in the tank are soft corals and 1 lps coral. I would very much like to add an anemone at some point, but know I would need stronger lighting. The light that came with the tank is a Fluval Marine and Reef 2.0 LED, model A3993 (the 2013) version. I was hoping to add lighting vs. replacing the current LED light. I don't have a very high budget. I'd prefer not to spend more than $200, but could go to $250 if necessary. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking into supplementing with T5 HO, but can't seem to find many fixtures available and am confused with the watts, etc and how many I would need. Thanks in advance!!

At your price point an ocean revive t247 would be the best option. It will get you the coverage you need, and grow what you want to grow. In addition to this it is extremely easy to use.

An ATI T5 would be a much better option, but the price point is much higher, and you obligate yourself to replace bulbs on a regular basis. While you will get more light, and be able to swap bulbs to meet an exact look that you like, it is far more than I think is needed to achieve your goals.

For soft corals, LPS, and an anemone (or 5 once it is happy and start splitting) an ocean revive is a great choice. I sell them more than anything but radions simply because they are by far the best option when it comes to an entry level light.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back