New to hobby water test help!

JB64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby. 7 month old 75 gallon reef tank I hope! I received my ATI test results back and am not sure what to do now? Any suggestions or ideas would greatly be appreciated! The RODI test came back good.

Screenshot_20220729-093342_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-093355_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-093406_Chrome.jpg

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish only or reef? I think you're just low on salt - so maybe you need to check your hydrometer - make a batch of SW with a scale, buy some calibration water, or take yours to an LFS that you use.
If you're livestock don't look stessed, don't over react. Just add SW instead of FW as top off until you have salinity in a comfortable range.

OP
OP
J

JB64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have fish and a few hermit craps. I have tried snails and a few cleaner shrimp but none survived long after acclimation. I posted about it and was suggested to test the water. I will recalibrate the refractometer. I want to slowly turn this into reef. Are the copper and tin levels going to allow that?

OP
OP
J

JB64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish only or reef? I think you're just low on salt - so maybe you need to check your hydrometer - make a batch of SW with a scale, buy some calibration water, or take yours to an LFS that you use.
If you're livestock don't look stessed, don't over react. Just add SW instead of FW as top off until you have salinity in a comfortable range.
I only have fish and a few hermit craps. I have tried snails and a few cleaner shrimp but none survived long after acclimation. I posted about it and was suggested to test the water. I will recalibrate the refractometer. I want to slowly turn this into reef. Are the copper and tin levels going to allow that?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh - I transposed those as a I read down, no they are not. Is it a used tank or used rock that could be leaching copper? Vinyl tubing can leach zinc. I'd do a good sized water change and run some adsorbent - cuprisorb, perhaps, or carbon. I think that polybiomarine makes a pad that will remove heavy metals. They get a curious rep, but long ago I had good results.

OP
OP
J

JB64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh - I transposed those as a I read down, no they are not. Is it a used tank or used rock that could be leaching copper? Vinyl tubing can leach zinc. I'd do a good sized water change and run some adsorbent - cuprisorb, perhaps, or carbon. I think that polybiomarine makes a pad that will remove heavy metals. They get a curious rep, but long ago I had good results.
I am running cupisorp and carbon. I will check into the polybiomarine pad. I started the tank with tap water and used thr dechlorination drops for the first few months untill i could get my RODI system. Could that be part of the problem? Someone talked about copper getting stuck in the sand and the rocks. Should I replace my sand, rocks?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I'd likely get rid of the sand, but I like my rocks too much to give up on them that quickly. Still, I might pull some or most out and treat them in a rubbermaid tub or trash can, just to get the copper out of the tank. But remove too much rock and sand too quick and you might have an ammonia spike. If your crabs are fine (not to mention your fish), then it seems like a problem to fix more than an emergency.

OP
OP
J

JB64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I'd likely get rid of the sand, but I like my rocks too much to give up on them that quickly. Still, I might pull some or most out and treat them in a rubbermaid tub or trash can, just to get the copper out of the tank. But remove too much rock and sand too quick and you might have an ammonia spike. If your crabs are fine (not to mention your fish), then it seems like a problem to fix more than an emergency.
Thank you for all the input! I looked at posts about copper removal. Dosen't seem like it comes out of the rock. It is a very big set back but at least now i know what is going on. You are right, not an emergency now just a problem to fix. Good lesson learned.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back