New to kalkwasser

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing kalkwasser for a couple months now and my Alk has been rock solid stable. I haven’t tested my calcium because I thought those two would balance out evenly . Today I finally tested it and the result was a tad bit low.

I try to keep the same parameters as my salt mix . I use Red Sea blue bucket with the parameters of 8-8.5 ALK & 415 -440 calcium

Dosing with Kalkwasser my ALk been stabled at 8-8.3 but my Calcium read 375

Do I simply dose more kalkwasser? To raise my ALK & CAL? Or do I have to supplement it with more calcium dosing ?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing kalkwasser for a couple months now and my Alk has been rock solid stable. I haven’t tested my calcium because I thought those two would balance out evenly . Today I finally tested it and the result was a tad bit low.

I try to keep the same parameters as my salt mix . I use Red Sea blue bucket with the parameters of 8-8.5 ALK & 415 -440 calcium

Dosing with Kalkwasser my ALk been stabled at 8-8.3 but my Calcium read 375

Do I simply dose more kalkwasser? To raise my ALK & CAL? Or do I have to supplement it with more calcium dosing ?
I would verify the calcium number with another test kit or LFS. If it’s really 375 ppm, that’s OK. Anywhere between 350 and 500 is fine. If you want to raise it, buy some calcium chloride and add it to the tank according to the manufacturer. I would not add more kalk as alkalinity will increase as well.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would verify the calcium number with another test kit or LFS. If it’s really 375 ppm, that’s OK. Anywhere between 350 and 500 is fine. If you want to raise it, buy some calcium chloride and add it to the tank according to the manufacturer. I would not add more kalk as alkalinity will increase as well.
Thank you! Order some salifert that’s arriving tomorrow !

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser actually adds a bit more calcium than the balanced alk, so it cannot explain the results. If you need more calcium, I’d just dose some calcium chloride.
Thank you ! Just ordered a new test kit . If it’s not the calcium killing my torch coral than it must be my near undetectable nitrates? My phosphate is 0.11

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ! Just ordered a new test kit . If it’s not the calcium killing my torch coral than it must be my near undetectable nitrates? My phosphate is 0.11

That could be an issue and is worth checking by adding some N source and seeing if it improves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back