New to Kalkwasser

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Don’t mean to hijack this thread. I had questions regarding the safety of kalk as I am new to it and just started dosing. Will this product cause immediate blindness or burns? I steered away from sodium hydroxide due to kiddos in the house and thought kalk was a safer alternative.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Don’t mean to hijack this thread. I had questions regarding the safety of kalk as I am new to it and just started dosing. Will this product cause immediate blindness or burns? I steered away from sodium hydroxide due to kiddos in the house and thought kalk was a safer alternative.

Depends on what you mean by safer and how you use and store it. I would not want kids getting into most reef chemicals, and being sure to keep it out of your eyes is especially important.

juarec0201

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what you mean by safer and how you use and store it. I would not want kids getting into most reef chemicals, and being sure to keep it out of your eyes is especially important.
I suppose in terms of damage in severity it can cause to tissue. I was able to find many cases regarding sodium hydroxide burns but not many for calcium hydroxide. Appreciate the input. I’m gonna be a helicopter dad and vault everything including aminos:grinning-face-with-sweat:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose in terms of damage in severity it can cause to tissue. I was able to find many cases regarding sodium hydroxide burns but not many for calcium hydroxide. Appreciate the input. I’m gonna be a helicopter dad and vault everything including aminos:grinning-face-with-sweat:

In general, a calcium hydroxide solution of the same potency as sodium hydroxide will likely be equally harmful. It just happens that sodium hydroxide solutions can be made stronger, but they need not be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back