New To Me 120 G

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I've posted in a few other places but figured I'd actually start with my own thread for progress, etc.
I recently picked up an established 120g tank with stand, sump, etc. and got it up and running. I plan on adding a Cowfish as my first fish, and stocking with some peaceful tank mates, and several nano fish, etc. I intend on waiting about 3 weeks until I pick up the Cowfish just to make sure everything is running smoothly.
I'm realatively new to the Saltwater game (have 4~ FW tanks) so I'm learning as I go!

I'm happy with how the aquascape is sitting for the time being, but I always wind up changing my FW tanks so I'm sure it'll get moved around more.. I also noticed I've got a decent Bristleworm population going in the sump, plus a few hermits hanging out down below, and a fighting conch. I'd like to add a small urhcin to the sump at some point once the tank has been running for a while.

Please feel free to criticize my setup or offer me some assitance!

Equipment:
2 Vortech MP40's
Radion Gen 1 and Gen 3 Lights
Reeflink
Jebao Return Pump
AquaMaxx SC2 Skimmer
Smart ATO
AquaMax Nemo Fuge light

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things I've added over the past few days;

CUC
3 of each- Mexican Turbo, Cerith, Nassarius Snails (Tank already has a giant 3" guy running around)
Emerald Crab (Actually found him dead last night after 2 days in tank, thinking I might not have acclimated him properly?)

I added 4 freshwater black mollys yesterday so I've got some waste being produced for the next 3 weeks.. 2 of them had a run in with some rocks thanks to my MP40's and didn't make it. I shut them down until I can find a suitable setting they can tolerate.

Added a culture of Tisbe pods to get things rolling there too!

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a pretty interesting day so far. Previous owner of the tank used some sort of pressure fitting on a line from the return pump. It popped off, and spewed about 10g of water on the carpet. Urgg. Went ahead and bought new fittings and re-plumbed both feed lines as the other was leaking a bit too.

I picked up a pair of peppermint shrimp and tossed them in the sump to take out some apistasia that's been hanging out on rock down there. I love inverts and can't have cleaner shrimp with the cow so I figured they'd be alright down below.
I plan on ordering the Cowfish from the LFS this week, at the same time I'd like to get 2 PJ Cardinals and 4 zebra Dartfish into QT. Will they be a good choice for first fish into the tank after the Cow?

I've edited my future stock list a bit too. Is this too many fish for my tank size?

1 Cowfish

1 Mandarin Goby (Adding much later)
2 Goby/Candy Cane pistol pairs (Yasha and Yellow Watchman)
2x Firefish (red or helrichi)
4x Lyretail Anthias
1 Royal Gramma
1 Fairy Wrasse (undecided on variant)
2x Pajama Cardinals
4x Zebra Dartfish
2x Rainford Goby
2x Red Scooter Blennys

20191229_205657.jpg 20191229_205702.jpg

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my Cowfish today, his name is Gouda!
He's eating very well so far and is full of personality.

Also put 2 green Chromis, 2 PJ' Cardinals, and 3 Zebra Dartfish into QT.

20200105_175927.jpg

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some feedback regarding flow.
My tank is a 120 (48x24x24), I have two Vortech MP40, one on each side.
Currently I am running all settings at 3% speed, as I'm a bit paranoid more flow will be bad for him (Two black mollys I'd added as temporary guests were battered on the rocks and killed with 40% flow, I still have one thriving in the tank).

I run a mix of Constant and lagoon mode throughout the day, with a NTM cycle after feeding times.
One MP40 is placed towards the bottom of the tank (about 5" above the substrate), as I'd noticed it wasn't pulling any deitrus from the bottom at the top of the tank. The other is on the right, about 3" below water surface.

I have a very limited understanding of flow, but am adding mixed corals to the tank after they're done in QT.. The cowfish is small (about 3-4") and seems like he can get a little sideways and overwhelmed by the current flow. Any advice on my configuration? Can I slowly start to ramp up the % on the pumps and let him slowly get used to an increase?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the current stocking;

1 Longhorn Cowfish
3 Zebra Dartfish
1 Green Chromis
1 Black Molly
1 PJ Cardinal
2 Red Firefish
1 Royal Gramma

Just brought the Royal and Firefish out of QT last night and added to the display. The Dartfish have been chasing the firefish a bit, but I think it's most likely because the second I dropped them in, they made straight for the Zebra's little cave. They've settled on the opposite side of the tank now, so hopefully the aggression doesn't persist.

I picked up a bunch of fish from someone when I bought his 180g, they are one transfer away from coming into the DT as well. They include;
1 Blue Eyed Tang
2 PJ Cardinals
1 Lemon Damsel
1 Hawkfish.

I'm a bit nervous about the Damsel being aggressive towards other tank mates, but he does seem to leave the others alone that he's in QT with. But he's been in a tank with them for a while. I wasn't really expecting to have hawkfish or tangs at all, but I felt bad about trying to rehome them. If any show aggression towards the Cowfish I'll get them new homes.

I've got two pistol shrimps' in QT currently as well, I'll be adding a YWG and Yasha to pair up when they're closer to going in. One pistol is 3", the other is less than half an inch, so I will have to find gobies appropriately sized with the shrimp, and add them at different stages to help keep them happy with eachother.

Not sure what to add next. I'd really like some sort of Fairy wrasse if they'll be good with my other inhabitants. Would also like to add some Lyretail Anthias at some point as well.. guess I will have to decide what the next fish will be.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back