New to me RSM250, needs a skimmer though

vinsonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I received a RSM250 for free, but it's missing the protein skimmer (among other things I'm slowly fixing along the way). As I search online I see that the Deltec MC500 is a popular replacement for the stock protein skimmer, and the Tunze 9004 is another possibility (although it might be at max capacity on the 250, correct?) Are there any other skimmer options that fit inside the space without modifications? Right now I'm leaning towards the Tunze (it's $150, as opposed to the Deltec is $500), unless someone here thinks that's a really bad idea. Thanks in advance for your help!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the tunze. I have several of their AIO skimmers and I don't think you can go wrong with one.

OP
OP
V

vinsonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the tunze. I have several of their AIO skimmers and I don't think you can go wrong with one.
My only concern is will I have to limit the amount of fish I can put in the tank because the Tunze is just about maxed out at 66 gal (so will I have to do more water changes as a result, etc), where as the Deltec MC500 is rated at twice that (120-150 gal). How often are you needing to do water changes with your Tunze?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a max 250 owner but I do have a 32 gallon biocube with the tunze 9001 and I just tor down a 10 gallon lifegard with the 9001DC. I still water change both of these tanks on a weekly basis. I find that nano tanks just need more water changes than larger set ups. I would not think of a skimmer as a way to do fewer water changes. Rather I would think of it as a way to cover up for inconsistent maintenance and problems.

If you are wanting to reduce water changes I believe looking at a filter system that reduces nitrate and phosphate will be more effective. Some kind of algae filter or bacterial filter like a fuge, algae reactor, turff scrubber, carbon dosing, or biopellets.

What I like about the tunze is all of the nano skimmers I have tried work as long as you take time to adjust them and keep them clean but the tunze has been the most set and forget of any of the AIO nano skimmers I have tried. Often the human factor is what causes skimmers not to perform and the tunze has been better at removing the human factor from the picture.

OP
OP
V

vinsonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the info....I'm just getting back into this after a 20+ year break :) I thought I'd be OK using the cannister filter setup like I did before, but was advised against it (told it was a "nitrate" magnet) and that I needed to go with a protein skimmer/sump setup instead. I'm going to go ahead and pick up a Tunze and see how it goes (the RSM doesn't have a separate sump system, so if I need one, I'll have to take the tank in to get the bottom drilled for one, correct?) Thanks again!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the info....I'm just getting back into this after a 20+ year break :) I thought I'd be OK using the cannister filter setup like I did before, but was advised against it (told it was a "nitrate" magnet) and that I needed to go with a protein skimmer/sump setup instead. I'm going to go ahead and pick up a Tunze and see how it goes (the RSM doesn't have a separate sump system, so if I need one, I'll have to take the tank in to get the bottom drilled for one, correct?) Thanks again!
You would need to drill the tank for a sump but you could carbon dose with something like RedSea's NO3PO4 X. You could also likely fit a small biopellet rector, or if you wanted algae filtration you could add an external chaeto reactor. There are plenty of ways to filter the tank. I would not drill the tank if it were mine.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a skimmer? I'm having tank heating problems, and have figured out that my RSM skimmer is adding 3c of heat to the tank. Temp with skimmer on: 28.9. Temp this morning with skimmer off: 25.9c. And I have a cool house.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back