Help me choose a skimmer

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am leaning towards the Deltec 600i or maxspect jump sk400 for my wife Red Sea 350xl gen2 as the Red Sea 300 dc skimmer we have is a pain to get right. Looking to spend under $500. It’s a mixed reef with lots of fish

Thanks

beantown105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am leaning towards the Deltec 600i or maxspect jump sk400 for my wife Red Sea 350xl gen2 as the Red Sea 300 dc skimmer we have is a pain to get right. Looking to spend under $500. It’s a mixed reef with lots of fish

Thanks
I have had a few skimmers and I am currently running the Deltec and it is by far the best skimmer I have ever had very easy to dial in

OP
OP
laconic

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The issue with the current one is it’s very inconsistent skim, sometimes it’s just water sometimes light never dark since the dc conversion. Also getting notifications of overskim leveling. The AC is too loud to go back to

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No success with adjusting the water height/pump speed+air to change the results? With dc skimmers it's best to make smaller adjustments and give them time to give you more concrete results.

It's very uncommon to need to replace an entire skimmer due to inconsistent skimming unless the system has way too little or way too high of a bioload (former will only skim sometimes, latter will fill up way too fast)

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they make a reef octopus skimmer that runs moderately oversized for your tank, that's always my recommendation. Things are indestructible. Mine is at least a decade old. Still pulls thick sticky brown crud. Set and forget for the most part. Replaceable pump.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for Reef Octo.

I have had many brands over the years and none are as consistent and well-built as Reef Octo. I will admit I have never owned a Deltec.

If you want silent operation go with the Regal or Elite.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for Reef Octo.

I have had many brands over the years and none are as consistent and well-built as Reef Octo. I will admit I have never owned a Deltec.

If you want silent operation go with the Regal or Elite.
Yeah I second that while bulletproof, cheaper reef octopus skimmers are definitely not particularly silent. Absolutely indestructible though.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I second that while bulletproof, reef octopus skimmers are definitely not particularly silent. Absolutely indestructible though.
Yea the classics have a decent hum to them. I cannot hear my Regal 150 outside my RS stand. Have to open the cabinet to verify its running.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze on my 75. I like it alot but I think if I had to get a new skimmer I would get a Venturi, probably from lifereef

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they make a reef octopus skimmer that runs moderately oversized for your tank, that's always my recommendation. Things are indestructible. Mine is at least a decade old. Still pulls thick sticky brown crud. Set and forget for the most part. Replaceable pump.
Yep! for a smaller tank like mine the HOB Reef octopus is fantastic. Very easy to control how wet or dry you want the skim.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back