New to me SPS frag from a buddies old collection.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of one of several frags of a Teal Branching Staghorn Acro a buddy is sending out to a few people. I will have mine tomorrow ;Happy It’s old enough that he doesn’t recall which stag Acro family it’s from so I’m hoping y’all can give me some inside info. It’s believed to be a rare and hard to find if at all. Either way those of us lucky enough to get a frag at the buddy rate is getting a frag. Gotta love when a buddy calls as says hey this is over frowning my tank again. He says it’s a very very fast grower. He thinks it’s one of these as it’s a old old colony thats been in the family circle for 20 years.
A. cervicornis
Or
A. palmata
Or
A.hydnopora

Seems the first 2 are pretty rare and to my fairly new to SPS eyes they look the same. I have great lighting and very strong flow in the center section of my 240 where all my SPS corals are. After Dipping and QT time I’ll be putting down low to aclimate to my light. My other Acros are about 10” deep with all lighting 12” above waterline. I hope to bring this one up to the same level over time as it’s been under 1 BB led for as long as I’ve known him and it will now be under 2 of my 6 AI sol Blues all with 70* lenses running Blues and Royal Blues at 80% with 1 hour ramps from 7am to 7pm and whites at 8% from 8am to 6pm as well as 1/3 of the 4 60” Ati T5 Blue + bulbs that are on from 11am to 3pm
Any recommendations of acclimation difference for this piece?

804E3355-D665-4C47-8E47-C8710F5910B7.jpeg

Last edited:

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first two species you listed are Caribbean species that are illegal in the trade. The third species isn’t a species of acropora as far as I can tell. So I don’t think it’s any of the species you’ve listed.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok anyone know what it is then? He looked through his paperwork from the family hand me down log as he called it and it just says Rare Teal Stag Acro and he thinks it’s his grandfathers writing but not 100% sure and no info of where it’s from. Either way I’m happy to be getting a beautiful piece regardless. I just hope to know the proper care for it to put in my care log.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the picture or my bad old eyes lol Lol The shape is dead on but this one is a mix of light brown skeleton and light teal green. The polyps are bright teal green. I’ll have to remember your piece tho as I love those colors as well! I’m trying to add more color to my tank as I did the normal excited tanks mature time for corals and bulought way to many of one color and now I’m like dang it’s just to much lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back