OP
OP
Josh_boss

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reef is looking good! I've been eyeing those lights myself. They seem to be doing great for you.
This lights is amazing! By far I like them the best from all others I have had. I also posted a thread on how I connected my 2 if you needed to, you should have a look at it.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. Nice looking tank. I have to ask because you won't find too many other people around here running alk as low as you with sps corals: did you set out to keep it that low or did it settle there and things looked good so you just decided to keep it that way? My tank has always had low nutrients (despite a high bioload) so I run my alk near 7. Above 7.5 and acros get cranky. I was always under the impression from general reef chemistry that corals wouldn't form CaCO3 skeletons with an alk under 5. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can shed some light on this?

OP
OP
Josh_boss

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome. Nice looking tank. I have to ask because you won't find too many other people around here running alk as low as you with sps corals: did you set out to keep it that low or did it settle there and things looked good so you just decided to keep it that way? My tank has always had low nutrients (despite a high bioload) so I run my alk near 7. Above 7.5 and acros get cranky. I was always under the impression from general reef chemistry that corals wouldn't form CaCO3 skeletons with an alk under 5. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can shed some light on this?
So I had a 75 gallon reef running for about 2 years and never changed water and never dosed also topped off with tap water. I think the corals used up all the alk and calcium to the minimum but the tap water was keeping it at that level (3.7) dkh. In my new 180 it was hitting that low level too but I started dosing alk and calcium and I finally got it up to 4.8 dkh and I am trying to get it more up but I have 1 sps that gets its tips burned if I up the alk by as little as .5 in a day. So I have to bring it up as slow as a snail. I currently dose 35mls a day of calcium and alkalinity and it has came up from the 3.9 to 4.8 in about a month with no negative effects on the corals. Now I just let it climb very very slow and let them grow. I know there is people out there who don’t believe or think it’s soooo bad but the tank is thriving and isn’t neglected in any way so that’s that.

OP
OP
Josh_boss

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I just tested my alk and it’s came up to 90x0.056=(5DKH) since last week I tested. Maybe because it was such a gradual decline they got used to the water like that? Idk, but I have great growth and color. I noticed my corals grow slower and more “bushy” as opposed to long and tall and wild. I have a buddy who has the same acros and his grow fast and tall. I also notice with a higher alk the colors are lighter and maybe that’s because not enough nutrients because the cheato eats it all. but I seem to like the “low alk” effects if I get better color and fuller corals.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3F67C45B-CF66-44FA-AD84-D031FDE1D509.gif

Welcome to the R2R family!

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a 75 gallon reef running for about 2 years and never changed water and never dosed also topped off with tap water. I think the corals used up all the alk and calcium to the minimum but the tap water was keeping it at that level (3.7) dkh. In my new 180 it was hitting that low level too but I started dosing alk and calcium and I finally got it up to 4.8 dkh and I am trying to get it more up but I have 1 sps that gets its tips burned if I up the alk by as little as .5 in a day. So I have to bring it up as slow as a snail. I currently dose 35mls a day of calcium and alkalinity and it has came up from the 3.9 to 4.8 in about a month with no negative effects on the corals. Now I just let it climb very very slow and let them grow. I know there is people out there who don’t believe or think it’s soooo bad but the tank is thriving and isn’t neglected in any way so that’s that.
The results certainly do speak for themselves. You've done a nice job on the tank. I think the fact that you're seeing decent sps growth with an alk of 5 or less just goes to show that in this hobby the are many ways to achieve success and many things we can still learn about coral biology. The slow, decline in alk from whatever levels were in your salt mix was probably important for them to adapt to the low alk you have now. Have you tested your nitrates recently? Curious if they are low as well.

OP
OP
Josh_boss

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results certainly do speak for themselves. You've done a nice job on the tank. I think the fact that you're seeing decent sps growth with an alk of 5 or less just goes to show that in this hobby the are many ways to achieve success and many things we can still learn about coral biology. The slow, decline in alk from whatever levels were in your salt mix was probably important for them to adapt to the low alk you have now. Have you tested your nitrates recently? Curious if they are low as well.
I have not tested my nitrates in a long time because it was always very very low with the redsea tester. I think that’s because the cheato. Phosphate is 0.075ppm (after converting) with a Hanna phosphorus checker.

OP
OP
Josh_boss

Josh_boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested my nitrates in a long time because it was always very very low with the redsea tester. I think that’s because the cheato. Phosphate is 0.075ppm (after converting) with a Hanna phosphorus checker.
@Reeffraff here are some pics with the whites on just to show, they are growing good and no stress

2F9163BF-D375-4CA8-B1A3-C66B7EFA4631.jpeg 78654DD1-9D1B-482E-9E21-825BF24E15F5.jpeg 433D6218-4B09-4444-A051-B566B4874314.jpeg 1627F88E-DA17-47DD-A9E5-2686184DBAA9.jpeg E701B6E7-C2DF-4E94-BCD8-1F2E585472B0.jpeg 8250C6E6-BBD2-4948-8AC1-9805E4EF14AA.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back