New to Reef Tanks Is this Good Equipment to Use?

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have a few fresh water tanks but this is by far my largest and will be my first reef tank. I made a list of the equipment I plan on buying. Is this good equipment to have a successful reef tank? Any additions or suggestions? I don't have a full list of what fish I want to keep but I will definitely have fish and beginner corals. Anyway, let me know what you think of this setup and equipment!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend using real live rock instead of any kind of dry rock. You will save your self a lot of headaches with nasty pests like dinos, hair algae and the like. You also will have an ecosystem with more breath and depth with real live rock almost instantly. It is worth the extra money.

I don't care for the failure rates of InkBird heater controllers. I would suggest looking at Ranco which are industrial grade.

Tunze Osmolator is the best-of-breed auto top off, IMO. At least consider them. Triple redundancy.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 75 gallon a classic fish tank with a middle brace? Those tend to obscure light that the coral needs. Otherwise, your list is reasonable.

I would agree with the live rock and ranco controller suggestion by @jda

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey All,

I have a few fresh water tanks but this is by far my largest and will be my first reef tank. I made a list of the equipment I plan on buying. Is this good equipment to have a successful reef tank? Any additions or suggestions? I don't have a full list of what fish I want to keep but I will definitely have fish and beginner corals. Anyway, let me know what you think of this setup and equipment!

Use the dry rock but add live rock and liquid bacteria such as microbacter XLM to get tank bacteria and denitrifiers seeded. Equipment looks good and you will likely make equipment changes as your stocking and needs change

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the 75 gallon a classic fish tank with a middle brace? Those tend to obscure light that the coral needs. Otherwise, your list is reasonable.

I would agree with the live rock and ranco controller suggestion by @jda
Yes it does have a middle brace! Do you think that will be an issue? Hoping with 2 lights it might not be as much of an issue. And thanks for the help!

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is an issue, it is what it is.

New to reef tank, save your money, you are good on equipment

Use the dry rock and find a good piece of established rock with coralline algae growing on it. Scrape off the corraline and let it blow around the tank and settle where it may.

Buy some DIY supplements, Soda ash for Alkalinity, and Calcium Chloride for Calcium.

You can use inexpensive API KH and CA text kits. They are close enough for now. You just need to keep parameters stable.

If you don’t have a refractometer that would be a good purchase.

Keep it simple and go slow, if not sure about something ask.

People on here will tell you, you need this and that, to upgrade lights, get a more efficient skimmer or whatever.

There’s plenty of time down the road if you choose to upgrade.

Get your hands wet and enjoy your new reef

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does have a middle brace! Do you think that will be an issue? Hoping with 2 lights it might not be as much of an issue. And thanks for the help!
I have a 75 with a black middle brace. I don’t see any shading issues.
I also have a par meter, and while there is a measurable difference under the center bar, it’s negligible. Around 20 par. It’s not visible and it’s small enough where it won’t affect corals

I use this ato, there are tons of good ones out there that all will do the job. But this one is a little less money and also has numerous sensors and fail safes
Useek Auto Top Off for Saltwater Aquarium Water ATO System for Both Reef and Fresh Tank - Green https://a.co/d/gIZLAKS

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my fish tanks but that was after a long time of running reefs in them. I agree that it is not an issue, but when you go to upgrade you probably want to look for more open tops tanks for access and unobstructed top viewing.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four InkBird controllers for various reasons (even outside of reef) and none have ever failed me. Knock on wood. With that said, Ranco would prob be my first choice if I started over.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Middle brace was implemented for support of tank/frame and will not be an issue, similar to eurobracing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back