New Reefer - New Tank - Equipment plan & review

scubatan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
After a couple years of deep contemplation and envy of my brother-in-laws 120g tank and a couple scuba trips - I've decided it's time to get into the hobby.

My goal is to have a mixed reef tank starting with a few fish & CUC, then add softies, lps and down the road when things are stable, a few SPS.

Where I live there is a very small market for used equipment, but I will be spending the next month or so browsing as I'm not in a huge rush.

Equipment:
Waterbox 20g AIO
Stock return pump
Eheim 75 watt heater (20" long and tank height is 17.7", but lots of other builds have used it so I assume it fits vertically in the rear chamber)
Heater Controller (is this necessary? inkbird?)
Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 Auto Top Off (Appreciate any cheaper alternatives - this seems to be a highly recommended one)
AI Prime 16HD x1
Aquatic Life RO Buddie 4 Stage RO with Color Changing Mixed Bed Dionization Cartridge, 50-Gallon
Tripp Lite 6 Outlet power strip
Magnet cleaner

Caribsea Fiji Pink Live (10 or 20lb?)
Marco dry Rock - 20 lb
RedSea Reef Pro Salt

Livestock: Likely 2 clowns, goby/pistol pair, then either a royal gramma/firefish/cardinal/possum wrasse/blenny (any suggestion here for 4th fish??)
CUC: Any suggestions on which crabs/snails to get and approx how many?
Corals: zoas, mushroom, leather, hammer, duncan (appreciate any recommendations) and eventually some monti & acropora

Filtration: Any recs? I've seen some nanos from nothing but a filter sock and then weekly water changes.
Marine Pure Spheres?
Chemi Pure blue?
Carbon?

Water Testing: (Appreciate any suggestions/recommendations here)
Refractometer
API Ammonia test kit
Salifert Alkalinity
Redsea Calc, Mag, Nitrate.

Appreciate any critique of these items and suggestions for everything. I'm hoping to get up and running in the next 1-2 months!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont use API, most seem to think its not accurate. I use red sea testing. As for the sand depends on if you want burrowing/sand sifting fish or not!

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back