New to reef2reef as well!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome again to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
500 gal ..worth a double welcome ;) :p

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef! Got any pics of your massive fish room that had 30+ tanks? I'll be able to use it as leverage with my fiance. I'll walk out that picture and tell her that I've only got a small addiction and it could always be worse. ;) ;)
way to make the new guy feel useful,i would not mind seeing that myself.

OP
OP
ilawis

ilawis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no Photos of the fish room but i can tell you about it..
My Laptop got stolen when i came to CA USA 2 years ago and all the photos went with it family photos and everything.

but all in all its going to sound a little odd what i did...
I had bought a small tin garden shed just under 10m2 (about 100ft2) it was long and narrow
I had lined the entire room with polystyrene 50mm high density and duck taped together, to stablise the temperature and heated the room with a fan heater set to a temperature and that is how i heated the tanks.
I used led strip lights above every tank and this lit them all up very well
i also had put somthing on the ground for the water to drain away and to keep the heat in but i cant remember what this was (i feel like it was wood but it was a long time ago (about 7 years so memory is a little fuzzy)
when you stepped in the door to your right was a 60ltr bin for water changes and i had plumbed in at the bottom next to it a drain plug and a water feed tap
above it i ran a few tanks with compartmentalized sections that i would have different stages of fry. with a air stone for each section.
directly in front i had 18ish tanks stacked 4 high on the side wall i had another 6 tanks and to the left i had another 8 tanks (rough numbers it was a long time ago)
i ran garden irrigation around the room that was my airline with individual taps coming off for each tank to regulate the air to each tank (tricky balance but worked great) for the sponge filters
to siphon each tank i would connect the siphon directly to the out of the drain using hose connectors.
the most expensive part become the food so i started making my own fish food. it was easy to do but it was quite thick i couldn't get it as thin as the flakes in the store but most of the fish loved it.

All in all i really enjoyed it but i eventually shut it down because of moving house.

I do have some hard drives in the garage and if i have some time i might have a look to see if i can find anything in them for photos but i highly doubt it.

FYI the quality of my old fish room is not the quality of this current build but im sure there will be a few oddities going on anyway.

Back