New to Reefing

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am coming over to reefing from being in fresh water for a while. Totally a newbie when it comes to salt water/reefing other then staring at the cool salt water fish at the pet stores and my buddies house. been around freshwater fish pretty much my whole life.

I am bring over a 125 Gallon 5ft long Tank with a 75gal sump that i run with about 50 gal of water in it. She has Bean animal style overflow with 3 2" drain lines and 4 1" returns. I am going to do a complete reseal on the tank. A couple of the seams look a little sketchy. I got the 125 used and no scratches with the over flow and bulk heads so i can't complain.

I am in the process of planning out the modifications to the sump to make it work for salt water. I am thinking i am going to setup the overflow to go directly into a skimmer so i can ditch the filter socks. I also have a couple other advantages is that i have the wall open behind the tank for some remodeling so i am going to run some drain and ATO lines to the basement. I already thought of running the sump to the basement but i have a 130 year old house that i am going to have to chisel out a path in the stone wall in the basement for the skimmer drain and ATO lines.

And I tend to take the DIY approach to a lot of items so i am going to give building a skimmer a try.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Back