OP
OP
KyleC.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never re-sealed, but I should think it best to cut those away, clean _hard_, and fill in with new silicone.

~Bruce

That's what I'm going to do. I'll cut off any silicone that is easily separated from the glass, and redo.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm going to do. I'll cut off any silicone that is easily separated from the glass, and redo.
You may want to cut out ALL the silicone and start fresh. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that new silicone did not stick well to old silicone?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefQueen is correct in that new silicone will not stick to old silicone. Small tanks you can usually just cut out the silicone while keeping the tank intact and run a new bead. Larger tanks have much more pressure on the seams and it is advised to take the tank completely apart and basically rebuild it using the raw materials. The best silicone is Momentive, but can be a bit more expensive and hard to find except on-line.

OP
OP
KyleC.

KyleC.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefQueen is correct in that new silicone will not stick to old silicone. Small tanks you can usually just cut out the silicone while keeping the tank intact and run a new bead. Larger tanks have much more pressure on the seams and it is advised to take the tank completely apart and basically rebuild it using the raw materials. The best silicone is Momentive, but can be a bit more expensive and hard to find except on-line.

"Larger Tank" would be any tank over 120gal? This is a 90gal, and most of the seams are perfect, it is just the vertical edges on all four corners that are questionable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back