New to saltwater and nanos

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an aquatop zen 5zn 5.5 gallon tank. Got a deal on it. I know a nano isn't the best way to break into saltwater but it's my only option right now till I get my living situation figured out. I have a 46 gallon bowfront I'll be setting up when in get moved. So what's some tips on getting this little nano started? I have a ro/di setup so all water will be ro.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes and an ATO(or daily topoffs) are your new best friends. Also in 5.5 gallon I'd do one tiny fish (like a clown goby or a barnacle blenny) or none. On the plus side there are TONS of super cool and fun inverts. The one thing to worry about if your house is not climate controlled is overheating. Personally, I love having a nano and don't have any interest in going bigger (okay maybe a little bit- I want a midas blenny) But honestly, to me the pros of having a nano far outweigh the cons. Good luck and have fun!!! Can't wait to see pictures :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the bst tip i could ever give is

when algae pops up, lift that rock out of the tank and scrape it off, or burn it off, or do anything to the algae that makes it go away. so many people do the reverse, and have an algae problem. im advocating manually killing it, in addition to great nutrients to prevent it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back