New to Saltwater and need help!

jackmerius27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first saltwater tank, it is 10 gallons and I put three damsels in it. Two of them started showing these white bumps on their sides then the third died without any bumps. I am brand new so I don't know any of the saltwater diseases or treatments. Any suggestions?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Agree, we will need to see some pics in order to narrow this down.

OP
OP
J

jackmerius27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic, sand put in on Friday, fish and live rock on Saturday.

image.jpeg

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is 4 days old with the rock being in for 3 days? Unless this rock came from a well established system your tank hasn't cycled completely. Once the last damsel dies you need to get an ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kit. Once the ammonia spikes and falls to 0, the nitrite starts to fall and the nitrate starts to rise you will be able to slowly add fish again.

OP
OP
J

jackmerius27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock did come from an established tank at my LFS, it has mushrooms and fungus and such on it.

Techie_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3-4 days is way too soon, I don't think a cycle can (or should) be completed that fast. My advice would to be keep your water perfect, cross your fingers and hope that chromis does not die... I wish you luck!

@Humblefish may be able to guide you further...

Remember: Nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby, patience is key.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3-4 days is way too soon, I don't think a cycle can (or should) be completed that fast. My advice would to be keep your water perfect, cross your fingers and hope that chromis does not die... I wish you luck!

@Humblefish may be able to guide you further...

Remember: Nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby, patience is key.
X2 without large, frequent water changes your fish and coral are doomed. Invest in the seachem "ammonia badge" so you can see what is happening with your ammonia. Anything other than clear yellow on this badge and you are in need of a very large water change.

I would use araga milk to bring PH up with freshly mixed water and make sure the salinity and temperature of the new water is the same as the tank. Another heater is a good investment.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if that's just Lymphocystis or some sort of bacterial disease on the fish. Are the damsels fighting? Could be an infection developing from a wound...

I agree with above; you need to test for nitrites, ammonia & nitrates to be sure your tank is fully cycled. Sometimes you can see a mini-cycle even when using established LR, as some of the bacteria dies off during transport.

aaron23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go and buy some bacteria additive from IO the BIO Spira just to make sure and seed the tank with bacteria to help assist with the new tank syndrome cycle

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can just dump a bunch of prime in there and hope for the best

omykiss001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say if that's just Lymphocystis or some sort of bacterial disease on the fish. Are the damsels fighting? Could be an infection developing from a wound...

I agree with above; you need to test for nitrites, ammonia & nitrates to be sure your tank is fully cycled. Sometimes you can see a mini-cycle even when using established LR, as some of the bacteria dies off during transport.

+1 kind of looks like lymphocystis, but pic quality is not great so can't see the details

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back