Pest ID on TBS Live Rock

ReefTanker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello beautiful people. Was wondering if someone could help identify if the worm that comes out of the hole just a regular bristleworm or something more concerning.

I notice it does have long antenna like things from its head. Video below.

I also have these two crabs. It looks like they have banded legs. I’m not sure if they are filter feeding but, sometimes it looks like they are but other times it looks like they are scraping something of the rock and eating. Video linked below.

I did also see a long thick tube worm under my live rock a few times but it was so sensitive to the light I couldn’t get my camera out quick enough to get capture it. I’m not sure if it was just a big bristleworm or a some sort of eunic worm. It was more tubular shaped than a bristleworm would be.

Any help on identifying these things would be appreciated.

I am really excited about starting to get cuc and corals going but am now regretting going the live rock direction because of these unknown pests and if they will kill my corals or live stock.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I can't see the worm at all at the moment - with the crab, does it have three pairs of walking legs or four?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs have 2 claws and 4 pairs of legs. Some swimming crabs have the last pair of legs modified for swimming .

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs have 2 claws and 4 pairs of legs. Some swimming crabs have the last pair of legs modified for swimming .
Yeah, true crabs have 4 pairs of walking legs while porcelain crabs and squat lobsters have 3 - the body shape (which is quite tough to actually see in the video) and long claws of OP's crab leave me wondering if they have one of those.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first video, it is hard to see, but it could be a Eunice worm, which can come on gulf rocks. You will have to see if you can count the # antennae coming out the front if the head. If there are 5 of them pointing straight out in a star shaped pattern, likely a Eunice worm. They are generally considered to be undesirables, but so far I haven't seen accounts of the gulf species being harmful, and I've had a few myself, and one currently.

The crabs are also hard to see, but I suspect you have a porcelain crab there. Check to see if they have 6 legs instead of 8 (not counting the claws). Porcelains have 7th and 8th appendages, but they tuck them away and use them like windshield wipers. If 8 clear legs, thats a true crab and might be a baddie. Otherwise, if it's a porcelain, definite keeper!

OP
OP
R

ReefTanker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I’ll try taking some better shots tonight or count the antennas and legs. Crabs look like they have 6 legs total plus the claws and windshield wipers.

Wishing you and your loved ones a safe and meaningful Memorial Day.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone. I’ll try taking some better shots tonight or count the antennas and legs. Crabs look like they have 6 legs total plus the claws and windshield wipers.

You can also email us directly for identification.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Windshield wipers = Porcelain crabs

OP
OP
R

ReefTanker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe what I have is some sort of eunice worm. Was able to get a decent video of it last night. I did have him look directly at me at one time. I couldn’t see any mandibles on its mouth when it would open it. Just a perfect circle. I wasn’t able to count the antennas with the red light unfortunately.

I know it’s hard to tell me exactly what worm this is my main concern is it safe for corals, cuc or fish. It’s made its burrow in a platform piece of Marco rock that my large scaped rock sits on. If it’s a problem worm I’d try taking it out but if it’s isn’t I would just leave it in.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd bet coral that it is a Eunice worm. For at least some of the Gulf species, you won't see the mandibles retracted like you see with bobbit worms waiting to snatch fish. This is what you will see:
1716930104665.jpeg

Mandibles tucked up in their little kissy face. Not a cute kissy face. The only time I've seen them pull out their mandibles was when I actually nabbed one for just a second and it attacked the tongs (!!!). Startled me so much I released pressure and the Eunice worm escaped back in its hole.

The bad news is, I've found them nearly impossible to remove. I've taken out rocks and given them hot water blasts in the holes, fizzy water, worm traps, manual capture. Nope. They are lightning fast and rarely venture fully out of their holes. Even if you do nab one, you'll likely break it into at least two parts, and they regenerate heads, so you could end up with more than one.

The neutral (not exactly "good") news is that some, if not most, species we get from Gulf live rock seem to be the smaller detritivore variety, scavenging about and not hunting our fish and snails. I've watched mine "munching" on the live rocks and even getting up close and personal with my snails, but I've yet to witness a snail attack. I have mysterious snail deaths, but I don't know if it is because the of the Eunice worm(s) or something else.

I'd not worry too much about it. But maybe check in every now and then at night with that red flashlight and see what it's up to!

OP
OP
R

ReefTanker91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you JoJo. I need to stop spending so much time battling these pests. I wish there was a fish that could hunt these things like ciroland isopods and unwanted worms, crabs. I was thinking a Valentin puffer or some sort of wrasse but not sure.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back