TBS Liverock ID help - This is my first Rodeo

DriverForHire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am new to reefing and went ahead and started with live rock and sand from TBS. I have only had the rock for 24 hours but wanted to get a headstart on potential issues with pests. Please help me ID whats going on here, loks like aiptasia and tube worms? Are tube worms something I need to worry about? Thanks!

Also sorry I am new to forums as a whole, not sure if this is the proper place to ask this question.

20240220_180812.JPG 20240220_180820.JPG 20240220_180834.JPG

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby and the forum! This is the perfect place to ask about unidentified critters :)
TBS rock often contains curlique anemones, but these don't spread rapidly like other types of pest anemones. You can still remove them (many different opinions on the best way, and there's a sticky thread about them at the top of this hitchhiker forum).
The feather duster tube worms are harmless filter feeders. They're the kind of thing you bought the rock for :)

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case you didn't notice, TBS has hitchhiker section for their live rock/sand on their web site:

TBS Hitchhikers

...quite a lot to sift through (multiple pages) but pictures of many possibilities, then click anything you find for more info (((has notes about reef safe or not)))

Upvote 0

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubes you want. The nems are a personal preference. Like someone said look up on their website the hitch hikers guide. Those might be the ones that aren't as bad. As someone who is currently killing a boat load of aptasia I wouldn't keep them if they can spread profusely.

I got rock from them about 2 years ago. Great rock. I had clams and all kinds of cool things.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case you didn't notice, TBS has hitchhiker section for their live rock/sand on their web site:

TBS Hitchhikers

...quite a lot to sift through (multiple pages) but pictures of many possibilities, then click anything you find for more info (((has notes about reef safe or not)))
I just looked at their hitchhiker guide and some of the descriptions seem to have the entry for hidden cup coral - but they aren't this coral. Maybe it's a "placeholder" for future edits...?
Look at the organism name instead of the description (although at least one entry IS hidden cup coral, lol)

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at their hitchhiker guide and some of the descriptions seem to have the entry for hidden cup coral - but they aren't this coral. Maybe it's a "placeholder" for future edits...?
Look at the organism name instead of the description (although at least one entry IS hidden cup coral, lol)
In fact, @LiverockRocks - just FYI.

Upvote 0

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello I am new to reefing and went ahead and started with live rock and sand from TBS. I have only had the rock for 24 hours but wanted to get a headstart on potential issues with pests. Please help me ID whats going on here, loks like aiptasia and tube worms? Are tube worms something I need to worry about? Thanks!

Also sorry I am new to forums as a whole, not sure if this is the proper place to ask this question.

20240220_180812.JPG 20240220_180820.JPG 20240220_180834.JPG
Howdy,
Feather dusters are reef safe filter feeders. Depending on tank inhabitants and your preference; they are great in peaceful displays (some fish will eat them), sumps or in a refugium. If you don't like the look of them, turn the rock so they are hidden on the back side of the aquarium, so these beneficial hikers can still filter but you won't see them.
The nems appear to be small Bellactis Lux. (Could be the unidentified sponge nem, but they are not brownish.) Both will be consumed by peppermints, gorillas and Copperbands.
Rock on.

Upvote 0

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, love their rock.
Always something new to see when looking in the tank by day and by night.

Get yourself a magnifying glass and a red torch.
You will be surprised by the amount of life that pops out of the rock at night.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DriverForHire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - Which package or treasure chest did you order, and do you have a full tank shot?
Hi, I ordered the "Original TBS package". Comes with live sand, base live rock, premium live rock, and a cleanup crew. When you order the package that way it changes the quantity of everything based on your tank size. They also help you customize to a certain degree. I have a JBJ Rimless 65 so my display area is about 45ish gallons, therefore I got 40 lbs of live sand, 40 lbs of base live rock and 40 lbs of premium live rock. I will post a full shot once my second batch of rock comes 2/26.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back