New to saltwater and need HELP!!!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think one power head will be enough for a 75 gallon? also how long does it take for a tank to cycle or for your rock and sand to become live before you would want to put in fish corals and anemones?

I would do two. If you skimp on flow, you end up with more problems later then you solve. I have 3 powerheads in my 80g (plus flow from return pump). As corals grow, they block flow and you end up needing more. If there are dead spots then debris piles up and ugly algae.

Same with lighting. You don't need a $1000 fixture but nem's like light so you shouldn't go to minimum.

You can cycle your rock faster using a bacterial additive like Biospira. The tank may not be ready for nem's for a few months. First fish can go in sooner, days to a week or two. If you don't use Biospira and just cycle old school... expect 4-6 weeks for the tank to cycle.

Your biggest problem will likely be fish disease... it's just a problem in this hobby for new tanks in general. It stings to lose $$$$$$ in fish. Probably best to stick to hardy species and try to find a quality place to buy fish.

When money is a concern, the easiest way to cut cost is to go with a smaller tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

beang2299

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do two. If you skimp on flow, you end up with more problems later then you solve. I have 3 powerheads in my 80g. As corals grow, they block flow and you end up needing more. If there are dead spots then debris piles up and ugly algae.

Same with lighting. You don't need a $1000 fixture but nem's like light so you shouldn't go to minimum.

You can cycle your rock faster using a bacterial additive like Biospira. The tank may not be ready for nem's for a few months.

Your biggest problem will likely be fish disease... it's just a problem in this hobby for new tanks in general. It stings to lose $$$$$$ in fish. Probably best to stick to hardy species and try to find a quality place to buy fish.

When money is a concern, the easiest way to cut cost is to go with a smaller tank.
Ok thanks. do you know if the fluval aquasky would be enough for lighting?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. do you know if the fluval aquasky would be enough for lighting?

No, not adequate. Standard 75g is 21 inches deep. Even their marine bar is not good enough by their listed par values. They are for shallow/short small tanks... something like a 12 inch deep tank like a 20 gallon long.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that with lights you want to spend a bit of money so that you get good quality but I'm definitely on the the lower end for lights. I probably want them just like the bar that goes barely over the top or something really low profile
For budget options, 2 100w nicrew hyperreefs could work. Noopsyche also isn't too expensive and two of the double puck models would work. Reefbreeders are semi budget friendly

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have is a petsmart or I have to drive at least an hour for a petco and even more for a real aquarium store. Is there anything wrong with the fx4 for will it do the trick?
The Fluval will work, but they’re a pita to open and clean and they spill water everytime.

Just buy online, you don’t even have to go out. I run a Tunze skimmer 9012 DC, a Tunze Comline filter 3168 and a Tunze Osmolator 3155 on my 75 gallons.

The skimmer and filter go inside the tank, so no mess and no overflow possible. You put them in one corner, side by side, and they are almost invisible.

I have 2 really good canister filters handy but I wouldn‘t use them for saltwater. Too much trouble.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters need to be cleaned a lot more frequently (or should be) on salt water than freshwater. That is why people say it is a huge pain to deal with.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often is a lot more often?

I would clean it weekly but changing floss every few days is ideal. Hence why hang on backs are popular. Just grab the floss and toss new stuff in without having to even turn the filter off.

A canister has the potential to become more harmful than helpful in a reef environment if not maintained. I would say this problem is more likely on new tanks just because they process nitrate more poorly at a young age.

Technically a reef tank doesn’t even need a filter with sufficient rock and flow.

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often is a lot more often?
Canisters aren’t made to be serviced often. With an FX4 or FX6 in freshwater, some people only do maintenance every 4-6 months.

In saltwater, you quickly realize that dealing with a canister once a week is not something you want. Don’t forget, you have to top off every day and for that you need to make rodi water and saltwater often. That takes time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back