New to Saltwater Tanks but not to Saltwater

DiverJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm John and my wife and I are divers and decided that since we can't move to the ocean, yet, we would bring it to us. We had a 75g FW, but added a 75g SW about 5 months ago. 2 weeks ago we swapped out the 75g FW for a 55g and now have 2 75g SW tanks. :bigsmile: Have been getting lots of information from the site so far and hopefully i can add some photos from the reefs of the Carribean as I dabble in underwater photography as well. I'm still going through photos trying to pick what the aquascape of the new tank is going to look like.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and can't wait to see the set and the dive pics!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Where in the Carribean do you go diving? I'd love to see some pics as well.

OP
OP
DiverJohn

DiverJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Where in the Carribean do you go diving? I'd love to see some pics as well.

Been to Cozumel numerous times, Curacao, St. Thomas, Roatan Bay Islands Honduras, going to Grand Cayman in October. We try and do 2 dive trips a year.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm a PADI master diver and I've gone diving in cozumel a couple dozen times, Cancun, Costa Rica, the FL keys, Canary Islands, and several times on the gulf side of Florida's coast. How's the diving in St Thomas? I've been trying to convince my wife to go there for years.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R DiverJohn!

OP
OP
DiverJohn

DiverJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoyed St. Thomas. Cow and Calf rocks are a great back to back dive. Swim throughs, Champagne Bottle, the tide pops you out like a cork, etc. Also the tunnels of thatch cay are good with lots of swim throughs and schools tarpon, but watch out for the barracuda that swim in the cover of the tarpon. There are several ship wrecks to dive as well. There are a few good places for shore diving, one is Coki beach. Go in and take a right, this is also a great place for shore night dives. I dove the North, East and South sides of the island. North side is a little more bare. You can also head over to St. John for some great snorkeling as the island is all protected. St. Croix isn't far away either and there are some good sites there as well. People say the coral is better in the BVI, but there are still a lot of good dives and great looking corals. I do know some dive ops will take a trip to dive the Rhone in the BVI.

OP
OP
DiverJohn

DiverJohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revhtree, like the verse in your signature. I look at this one every morning.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back