New to saltwater

  • Thread starter Thread starter yojowill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

yojowill

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
San Antonio, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! :wave:
I am so excited to join the community of saltwater aquarists! I have always appreciated the beauty of reef tanks but was concerned I would make a mistake and ruin the collection and tank. Well just this week, after a lot of searching and negotiation, my wife and I ordered a 185 gallon reef ready cylinder glass tank. It should be delivered by the end of next week. I am anxious to get it going but understand I will have to be patient. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
I am seriously considering black live sand. Any thoughts on this? I have read a lot of pros and cons on this, but I think I would prefer the look of the black sand.
Below is a summary of the equipment being shipped with my new tank and stand.
1). MV 185 gal custom size column hiding aquarium. 2). Sump filter, SuperQuiet pump , 2600gph.
4). ETSS SumpBuddy Skimmer. 5). 578w MH+T5HO reef light. 6). Sump light: bonus to go with sump filter. 7). Cooling fan. 8). Magnetic brush with hand-glued razor blade. 9). UV

I will post pictures AND questions as I begin my adventure. I want soft coral with a few hard coral along with vibrantly colored fish, anemone, crabs, shrimp and snails...
I used to have a 150 gallon freshwater tank and am going to have to make a huge adjustment being that I loved the more immediate satisfaction from setting it up over just a few days. I understand that my saltwater aquarium will take weeks even months... I will need some help applying the brakes :smile:
Thanks in advance for your help, encouragement and advice!
 
image.jpg

This a model picture from the aquarium manufacturer of what my tank will look like.
 
Sweet tank and welcome!!
 
Welcome to R2R!! Love the tank that you are getting!! :)
 
Thank you all for the warm welcomes.
I plan to spend a lot of time at some of our local aquarium stores this weekend. I have an idea but am not exactly sure of what the 90 day rule is...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new